[NatureNS] Signs of Migration

From: James Hirtle <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: Naturens Naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2010 09:44:53 +0000

--_56150f4a-393d-4190-9310-ac1a535946f9_

Hi all:

=20

I guess I'll put my posting in for none migration first.  I did some atlass=
ing in my square which lies between Woodstock=2C NS and Walden.  This is th=
e Caribou Lake Square on the 16th after work.  I was pleased to find my fir=
st Baybreasted warbler for the year there.  I also was able to upgrade two =
other species and finally catch a black-throated green warbler carrying foo=
d.  I must say that in my travels over the years and especially this year i=
n this square that I've seen more Blackburnian warblers then I ever thought=
 possible in one area.  This square has them everywhere that I stop and the=
y are by far the most prominant warbler.  I've yet to catch one carrying fo=
od or to get this species at the highest level of breeding. =20

=20

Now for my signs of migration.  I came across a large flock of migrants tha=
t evening.  At one location I observed two hairy woodpeckers=2C a northern =
flicker=2C a blue-headed vireo=2C a red-eyed vireo=2C a black-throated gree=
n warbler=2C 10 black-capped chickadees=2C a golden-crowned kinglet=2C a da=
rk-eyed junco=2C three blackburnian warblers=2C a yellow-rumped warbler=2C =
a white-throated sparrow=2C a magnolia warbler=2C along with I assume none =
migrant magnolia warbler=2C yellow-rumped warbler=2C a family group of dark=
-eyed juncos=2C hermit thrushes=2C and to my memory my first ever female ba=
ybreasted warbler.  Thinking back over the years=2C I never really thought =
about it before now=2C but I've only ever seen male baybreasted warblers.  =
The female was right in front of me at ground level feeding=2C which threw =
me off and I could not figure out what warbler I was seeing at first.  At l=
east that is the only warbler that I can figure out that it might have been=
.  It was sort've beige in colour with two prominant white wing bars and a =
distinct brown along the sides.  It matches up with the female baybreasted =
warbler anyhow in National Geographic. =20

=20

I noticed my first flock of American robins flying last night.

=20

Also=2C last night over Bridgewater were two common nighthawks.

=20

James R. Hirtle

Bayport
 		 	   		 =20
Turn down-time into play-time with Messenger games
http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=3D9734385=

--_56150f4a-393d-4190-9310-ac1a535946f9_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px=3B
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
font-size: 10pt=3B
font-family:Verdana
}
--></style>
</head>
Hi all:<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
I guess I'll put my posting in for none migration first.&nbsp=3B I did some=
 atlassing in my square which lies between Woodstock=2C NS and Walden.&nbsp=
=3B This is the Caribou Lake Square on the 16th after work.&nbsp=3B I was p=
leased to find my first Baybreasted warbler for the year there.&nbsp=3B I a=
lso was able to upgrade two other species and finally catch a black-throate=
d green warbler carrying food.&nbsp=3B I must say that in my travels over t=
he years and especially this year in this square that I've seen more Blackb=
urnian warblers then I ever thought possible in one area.&nbsp=3B This squa=
re has them everywhere that I stop and they are by far the most prominant w=
arbler.&nbsp=3B I've yet to catch one carrying food or to get this species =
at the highest level of breeding.&nbsp=3B <BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
Now for my signs of migration.&nbsp=3B I came across a large flock of migra=
nts that evening.&nbsp=3B At one location I observed two hairy woodpeckers=
=2C a northern flicker=2C a blue-headed vireo=2C a red-eyed vireo=2C a blac=
k-throated green warbler=2C 10 black-capped chickadees=2C a golden-crowned =
kinglet=2C a dark-eyed junco=2C three blackburnian warblers=2C a yellow-rum=
ped warbler=2C a white-throated sparrow=2C a magnolia warbler=2C along with=
 I assume none migrant magnolia warbler=2C yellow-rumped warbler=2C a famil=
y group of dark-eyed juncos=2C hermit thrushes=2C and to my memory my first=
 ever female baybreasted warbler.&nbsp=3B Thinking back over the years=2C I=
 never really thought about it before now=2C but I've only ever seen male b=
aybreasted warblers.&nbsp=3B The female was right in front of me at ground =
level feeding=2C which threw me off and I could not figure out what warbler=
 I was seeing at first.&nbsp=3B At least that is the only warbler that I ca=
n figure out that it might have been.&nbsp=3B It was sort've beige in colou=
r with two prominant white wing bars and a distinct brown along the sides.&=
nbsp=3B It matches up with the female baybreasted warbler anyhow in Nationa=
l Geographic.&nbsp=3B <BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
I noticed my first flock of American robins flying last night.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
Also=2C last night over Bridgewater were two common nighthawks.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
James R. Hirtle<BR>
Bayport<BR> 		 	   		  <br /><hr />Your Photo on Bing.ca: You Could WIN on =
Canada Day! <a href=3D'http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=3D9734380' target=3D=
'_new'>Submit a Photo Now! </a></body>

--_56150f4a-393d-4190-9310-ac1a535946f9_--