[NatureNS] Invasive species

From: "Dusan Soudek" <soudekd@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2010 20:31:02 -0300

Hi David, all;
   this is presumably the Old World clone of the Common Reed, as discussed
on NatureNS a few years ago. It is now very common in the St. Lawrence River
valley. It seems to be displacing mainly cattails (Typha spp.). There are
more and more small "populations" along the Trans Canada Highway in N.B.,
and along Highway 102 and 101 in Nova Scotia, plus elsewhere. Last year I
found my N.S. first population in a relatively undisturbed natural habitat
along Chebogue River in Hants County.
   Dusan Soudek