[NatureNS] Chimney Swifts - none at King's College but 99

Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2010 22:42:19 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: "P.L. Chalmers" <plchalmers@ns.sympatico.ca>

         Darn!  You mean I passed up going to the reception, and
enjoying the chilled wine, for no purpose?

         Seriously though, it's a good point, and perhaps it was too
late.  But this gives me the opportunity to raise a question I
pondered while I was watching.  How important is sunset time in an
environment, such as peninsular Halifax, that has so much light
pollution that the sky remains light for hours after?  Does that
influence swift behaviour?  Although I watched until 10:00 p.m., I
could still see the tops of the chimneys clearly profiled against a
light sky.  I suspect this wouldn't be true in New Glasgow.

         Cheers,

         Patricia L. Chalmers
         Halifax