[NatureNS] hummingbird feeder attractors

Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2010 22:25:52 -0300
From: Lois Codling <loiscodling@hfx.eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--Boundary_(ID_mZgpWT9cUlI3h1+pWywVLw)

Hi Pat,

I agree with the others about the 4 to 1 sugar solution, but I do boil
mine.  I also don't think the proximity of other feeders deters hummers
- they are pretty aggressive little critters!  As someone said, right
now there are many flowers around for them to feed on, and I see my
hummers mainly in the early morning and just before dark stocking up.

I think the main attraction to your yard originally is to have lots of
flowers blooming right through the whole summer.  Lots has been written
about the red colour and tubular shape which they find especially
attractive, but they will feed at many other kinds of flowers as well.

Lois Codling
L. Sackville

On 24/06/2010 3:40 PM, Pat wrote:
> Hi,
> I would appreciate any suggestions to get hummingbird(s) to actually
> feed at my feeder.  It is hanging on my eaves part of the house roof,
> 3 to 1 solution of well water and common sugar, boiled and cooled, in
> a red-bottomed with yellow 'eyes' pretend flowers around the bottom
> with little bird perches in front of the feeder holes.  I have seen
> the odd female stop briefly since April.
>
> I am wondering IF the fact that I have a 3-foot by 15-inch tray
> mounted up the outside of the house porch at the window level where I
> can (a) continually clean and add feed and (b) see the birds feeding
> any time I walk by the kitchen entry, might be too close to the
> hummingbird feeder?  They are about 10-12 feet from each other and I
> do get lots of activity of differing size birds coming and going at
> the feeder during daylight hours.
>
> Patricia Dix
> Greenwich NS

--Boundary_(ID_mZgpWT9cUlI3h1+pWywVLw)

<head>
 http-equiv="Content-Type">
</head>
Hi Pat,<br>
I agree with the others about the 4 to 1 sugar solution, but I do boil
mine.&nbsp; I also don't think the proximity of other feeders deters hummers
- they are pretty aggressive little critters!&nbsp; As someone said, right
now there are many flowers around for them to feed on, and I see my
hummers mainly in the early morning and just before dark stocking up.<br>
I think the main attraction to your yard originally is to have lots of
flowers blooming right through the whole summer.&nbsp; Lots has been written
about the red colour and tubular shape which they find especially
attractive, but they will feed at many other kinds of flowers as well.<br>
Lois Codling<br>
L. Sackville<br>
I would appreciate any suggestions to get hummingbird(s) to actually
feed at my feeder.&nbsp; It is hanging on my eaves part of the house roof, 3
to 1 solution of well water and common sugar, boiled and cooled, in a
red-bottomed with yellow 'eyes' pretend flowers around the bottom with
little bird perches in front of the feeder holes.&nbsp; I have seen the odd
female stop briefly since April.
I am wondering IF the fact that I have a 3-foot by 15-inch tray mounted
up the outside of the house porch at the window level where I can (a)
continually clean and add feed and (b) see the birds feeding any time I
walk by the kitchen entry, might be too close to the hummingbird
feeder?&nbsp; They are about 10-12 feet from each other and I do get lots of
activity of differing size birds coming and going at the feeder during
daylight hours.
Patricia Dix
Greenwich NS<br>
  <pre wrap="">