[NatureNS] hummingbird feeder attractors

From: Randy Lauff <randy.lauff@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2010 16:12:29 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--0016e6567dc6d325530489cb7007

I've always used a 4 water : 1 white sugar solution, and don't boil it
(sometimes I don't even warm it up). I wonder if your fluid is just too
sugary? My feeder sounds similarly-coloured to yours, and it hangs within
2-3 m of my main silo feeder. So, I don't think proximity to your other
feeder is an issue, but as *they* say, you can always try moving it. Maybe
even try it way out in the open first, so it's highly visible, then when the
birds come, slowly move it to your better viewing area.

Randy
_________________________________
RF Lauff
Way in the boonies of
Antigonish County, NS.

On 24 June 2010 15:40, Pat <patdix@ns.sympatico.ca> wrote:

> Hi,
> I would appreciate any suggestions to get hummingbird(s) to actually feed
> at my feeder.  It is hanging on my eaves part of the house roof, 3 to 1
> solution of well water and common sugar, boiled and cooled, in a
> red-bottomed with yellow 'eyes' pretend flowers around the bottom with
> little bird perches in front of the feeder holes.  I have seen the odd
> female stop briefly since April.
>
> I am wondering IF the fact that I have a 3-foot by 15-inch tray mounted up
> the outside of the house porch at the window level where I can (a)
> continually clean and add feed and (b) see the birds feeding any time I walk
> by the kitchen entry, might be too close to the hummingbird feeder?  They
> are about 10-12 feet from each other and I do get lots of activity of
> differing size birds coming and going at the feeder during daylight hours.
>
> Patricia Dix
> Greenwich NS

--0016e6567dc6d325530489cb7007

I&#39;ve always used a 4 water : 1 white sugar solution, and don&#39;t boil=
 it (sometimes I don&#39;t even warm it up). I wonder if your fluid is just=
 too sugary? My feeder sounds similarly-coloured to yours, and it hangs wit=
hin 2-3 m of my main silo feeder. So, I don&#39;t think proximity to your o=
ther feeder is an issue, but as *they* say, you can always try moving it. M=
aybe even try it way out in the open first, so it&#39;s highly visible, the=
n when the birds come, slowly move it to your better viewing area.<div>

ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:patdix@ns.sympatico.ca">patdix@ns.sympatico.ca</=
a>&gt;</span> wrote:<br><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0=
 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex;">

Hi,<br>
I would appreciate any suggestions to get hummingbird(s) to actually feed a=
t my feeder. =A0It is hanging on my eaves part of the house roof, 3 to 1 so=
lution of well water and common sugar, boiled and cooled, in a red-bottomed=
 with yellow &#39;eyes&#39; pretend flowers around the bottom with little b=
ird perches in front of the feeder holes. =A0I have seen the odd female sto=
p briefly since April.<br>

I am wondering IF the fact that I have a 3-foot by 15-inch tray mounted up =
the outside of the house porch at the window level where I can (a) continua=
lly clean and add feed and (b) see the birds feeding any time I walk by the=
 kitchen entry, might be too close to the hummingbird feeder? =A0They are a=
bout 10-12 feet from each other and I do get lots of activity of differing =
size birds coming and going at the feeder during daylight hours.<br>

Patricia Dix<br>
Greenwich NS<br>

--0016e6567dc6d325530489cb7007--