[NatureNS] Blue Jay ailment

Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2010 08:33:44 -0300
From: Eleanor Lindsay <kelindsay@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--Boundary_(ID_LZvmLbG8v9NKI1iWZIxnZA)

Interesting!
Just two days ago I noticed a blue jay in my garden just perching with
its beak held wide open, which I have never seen before. I watched it
for 2-3 minutes through my binoculars; it looked otherwise healthy with
regard to weight, feathers and movements and I did see it twice briefly
close the beak to preen a feather but it then returned to holding it
wide open. I have not seen it again.

Eleanor Lindsay
Seabright, St Margarets Bay

On 22/06/2010 8:11 PM, bernard burke wrote:
> All
> I just had a Blue Jay around my deck which appears to be unable to close its beak, like its jaw is locked open. Initially I thought it was just trying to cool off, but it clearly makes an attempt at peanuts and such but cannot pick them up, or at least hold onto them. I did observe it trying to drink from my small deck pond. I was wondering if anyone is aware of such an ailment. It was hanging around very close to me as if it was desperate for assistance.
>
> http://bernieb.smugmug.com/Other/recent-pics/916397_ynXPk/25/910361226_oXor9/Large
>
> http://bernieb.smugmug.com/Other/recent-pics/916397_ynXPk/25/910361023_4GJZh/Large
>
> Bernard Burke
> blburke@ns.sympatico.ca
> Dartmouth

--Boundary_(ID_LZvmLbG8v9NKI1iWZIxnZA)

<head>
 http-equiv="Content-Type">
  <title></title>
</head>
Just two days ago I noticed a blue jay in my garden just perching with
its beak held wide open, which I have never seen before. I watched it
for 2-3 minutes through my binoculars; it looked otherwise healthy with
regard to weight, feathers and movements and I did see it twice briefly
close the beak to preen a feather but it then returned to holding it
wide open. I have not seen it again.<br>
Eleanor Lindsay<br>
Seabright, St Margarets Bay<br>
I just had a Blue Jay around my deck which appears to be unable to close its beak, like its jaw is locked open. Initially I thought it was just trying to cool off, but it clearly makes an attempt at peanuts and such but cannot pick them up, or at least hold onto them. I did observe it trying to drink from my small deck pond. I was wondering if anyone is aware of such an ailment. It was hanging around very close to me as if it was desperate for assistance.

http://bernieb.smugmug.com/Other/recent-pics/916397_ynXPk/25/910361226_oXor9/Large

http://bernieb.smugmug.com/Other/recent-pics/916397_ynXPk/25/910361023_4GJZh/Large

Bernard Burke
blburke@ns.sympatico.ca