[NatureNS] Question: Underwater Predation Of Ducklings

From: "Paul S. Boyer" <psboyer@eastlink.ca>
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2010 07:12:06 -0400
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--Boundary_(ID_le8inEeDEnnnOC8BIOFGwg)

I have heard that snapping turtles take ducklings.  I do not know whether this is true: or if it is, how frequently it happens.  I have seen adult black ducks hopping on a single leg, with a missing pedal limb or stump.

Snapping turtles do not tolerate salt water, however.

On Jun 14, 2010, at 11:10 AM, Gayle MacLean wrote:

> It has been occuring in the Musquodoboit Harbour, at the shallowest end & close to the mouth of the Musquodoboit River. Sorry for the confusion. Thanks.
>
> Gayle MacLean

 space; -webkit-line-break: after-white-space; ">I have heard that snapping=
 turtles take ducklings. &nbsp;I do not know whether this is true: or if it=
 is, how frequently it happens. &nbsp;I have seen adult black ducks hopping=
lass=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"><blockquote type=3D"cite"><table cellspa=
cing=3D"0" cellpadding=3D"0" border=3D"0"><tbody><tr><td valign=3D"top" sty=
le=3D"font: inherit;"><div>It&nbsp;has been&nbsp;occuring in the Musquodobo=
it Harbour, at the shallowest end &amp;&nbsp;close to&nbsp;the mouth of the=
 Musquodoboit River. Sorry for the confusion. Thanks.</div>
16,16,255) 2px solid"><br>From: Sean Mitchell &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:smitche=
l@stfx.ca">smitchel@stfx.ca</a>&gt;<br>Subject: RE: [NatureNS] Question: Un=
derwater Predation Of Ducklings<br>To: "<a href=3D"mailto:naturens@chebucto=
.ns.ca">naturens@chebucto.ns.ca</a>" &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:naturens@chebuct=
o.ns.ca">naturens@chebucto.ns.ca</a>&gt;<br>Received: Monday, June 14, 2010=
, 10:59 AM<br><br>
system, though a very large chain pickerel (which are in lakes of Nova Scot=
ia) may be able to take a very small duckling.&nbsp; I am not aware of any =
other freshwater fish that could, or would, do this. Is this occurring in f=
reshwater, estuary or saltwater?&nbsp; That will narrow down the list of po=
r,<br>St. Mary's River Association<br>PO Box 179, Sherbrooke, NS, B0J 3C0<b=
___________<br>From: <a href=3D"http://ca.mc379.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?t=
o=3Dnaturens-owner@chebucto.ns.ca" ymailto=3D"mailto:naturens-owner@chebuct=
o.ns.ca">naturens-owner@chebucto.ns.ca</a> [<a href=3D"http://ca.mc379.mail=
.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=3Dnaturens-owner@chebucto.ns.ca" ymailto=3D"mailto=
:naturens-owner@chebucto.ns.ca">naturens-owner@chebucto.ns.ca</a>] On Behal=
f Of
 Karen Shearer [<a href=3D"http://ca.mc379.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=3Dd=
rkshearer@gmail.com" ymailto=3D"mailto:drkshearer@gmail.com"><font color=3D=
"red"><b>MailScanner has detected a possible fraud attempt from "ca.mc379.m=
 has detected a possible fraud attempt from "ca.mc379.mail.yahoo.com" claim=
 AM<br>To: <a href=3D"http://ca.mc379.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=3Dnature=
ns@chebucto.ns.ca" ymailto=3D"mailto:naturens@chebucto.ns.ca">naturens@cheb=
ucto.ns.ca</a><br>Subject: Re: [NatureNS] Question: Underwater Predation Of=
br>----- Original Message -----<br>From: Gayle MacLean&lt;mailto:<a href=3D=
"http://ca.mc379.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=3Dduartess2003@yahoo.ca" ymai=
lto=3D"mailto:duartess2003@yahoo.ca">duartess2003@yahoo.ca</a>&gt;<br>To: n=
aturelist&lt;mailto:<a href=3D"http://ca.mc379.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=
=3Dnaturens@chebucto.ns.ca" ymailto=3D"mailto:naturens@chebucto.ns.ca">natu=
ct: [NatureNS] Question: Underwater Predation Of
 place on the Musquodoboit Harbour near to where it joins the Musquodoboit =
River, have seen, on several occasions, an unusual occurrence.<br>A family =
of ducks will be swimming along (&amp; the ducklings have been of varying a=
ges, anywhere from quite young to fledgling, size-wise), when all of a sudd=
en one would just disappear as if suddenly pulled under. It does not re-app=
ear. The rest of the duck family skitter quickly away.<br>They were wonderi=
ng what would be the most likely type of animal that would and could do thi=
s. Seal, otter, some kind of fish, or bird?<br><br>Thank you for your thoug=
formation from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 51=
95 (20100614) __________<br><br>The message was checked by ESET NOD32 Antiv=

--Boundary_(ID_le8inEeDEnnnOC8BIOFGwg)--