[NatureNS] chipmunks as scavengers

From: Randy Lauff <randy.lauff@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2010 09:12:11 -0300
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--0016e6d9a25b1dda6c0489108503

It was years ago in my undergrad when I found out that mice ate insects (the
display mice were routinely fed crickets). I always thought mice were just
herbivores. Then as my naturalist and biologist skills grew, I came to learn
of the role of chipmunks and squirrels as nest predators. And last year, a
trapper told me that mice may get into snared (dead) coyotes and other
furbeareres.  Well, yesterday I saw something most bizarre. The night before
I had tossed outside a snap trap with a mouse in it; I was going to deal
with it in the morning. Something (likely a crow) had removed most of the
mouse from the trap, but one leg was still there. A chipmunk came by, got
the leg, then held it up to its mouth almost like it was eating corn, and
started feeding on it.

Bizarre!
Randy
_________________________________
RF Lauff
Way in the boonies of
Antigonish County, NS.

--0016e6d9a25b1dda6c0489108503

It was years ago in my undergrad when I found out that mice ate insects (th=
e display mice were routinely fed crickets). I always thought mice were jus=
t herbivores. Then as my naturalist and biologist skills grew, I came to le=
arn of the role of chipmunks and squirrels as nest predators. And last year=
, a trapper told me that mice may get into snared (dead) coyotes and other =
furbeareres. =A0Well, yesterday I saw something most bizarre. The night bef=
ore I had tossed outside a snap trap with a mouse in it; I was going to dea=
l with it in the morning. Something (likely a crow) had removed most of the=
 mouse from the trap, but one leg was still there. A chipmunk came by, got =
the leg, then held it up to its mouth almost like it was eating corn, and s=
tarted feeding on it.<div>

--0016e6d9a25b1dda6c0489108503--