[NatureNS] osprey Cumb Co

From: Ulli <uhoeger@Dal.Ca>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2010 12:04:41 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--Apple-Mail-1--279545396
	delsp=yes;
	format=flowed

Yes, osprey fish in salt water.  I have seen them quite successfully
doing it off Point Pleasant Park, Halifax NW Arm, Cole Hbr saltmarsh
and many other places along the coast.
I also observed eagles and ospreys together. Often the successful
osprey had to surrender his prey to the eagle. Not sure if those
particular eagles specialized into making this kind of living (btw.
also gulls harass osprey quite often with success).  How close both
species will nest to each other I don't know, also I don't know if
one will clean out eggs and or chicks from the other species nest. It
wouldn't surprise me if eagles would do this on occasion. In the Cole
Hbr saltmarsh nests of both species are not in close vicinity to each
other.

Speaking about the eagles in Cole Hbr saltmarsh. The two youngsters
in the nest just before the third bridge are almost the same size as
their parents now, with one being a bit larger than the other.  Both
were stretching wings yesterday, but stayed firm on solid ground.
Both parents were out of sight for most of the time, just dropping by
to deliver snacks. Fish as far as I was able to tell, but some upset
in the gull population left me with the conclusion that they at least
tried to offer a more balanced diet.

Ulli

On 14-Jun-10, at 11:32 AM, V. Redden wrote:

> The Osprey is still around the mouth of the River Philip and so is
> the Bald Eagle. I have seen the Eagle from the mouth of the river
> to about half way to Oxford along the river edge.
> The Osprey seems to stay near the mouth and the near by marshy
> areas. I haven't seen a nest for either species. Do Osprey fish in
> salt water? Will they live this close to each others areas?
> Cumb Co Port Howe
> Virginia Redden
>  --
> The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a
> faithful servant.
> We have created a society that honours the servant and has
> forgotten the gift.
> Albert Einstein

--Apple-Mail-1--279545396

-webkit-line-break: after-white-space; ">
Yes, osprey fish in salt water. =A0I have seen them quite successfully =
doing it off Point Pleasant Park, Halifax NW Arm, Cole Hbr saltmarsh and =
many other places along the coast.<div>I also observed eagles and =
ospreys together. Often the successful osprey had to surrender his prey =
to the eagle. Not sure if those particular eagles specialized into =
making this kind of living (btw. also gulls harass osprey quite often =
with success). =A0How close both species will nest to each other I don't =
know, also I don't know if one will clean out eggs and or chicks from =
the other species nest. It wouldn't surprise me if eagles would do this =
on occasion. In the Cole Hbr saltmarsh nests of both species are not in =
close vicinity to each other.</div><div><br =
class=3D"webkit-block-placeholder"></div><div>Speaking about the eagles =
in Cole Hbr saltmarsh. The two youngsters in the nest just before the =
third bridge are almost the same size as their parents now, with one =
being a bit larger than the other. =A0Both were stretching wings =
yesterday, but stayed firm on solid ground. =A0Both parents were out of =
sight for most of the time, just dropping by to deliver snacks. Fish as =
far as I was able to tell, but some upset in the gull population left me =
with the conclusion that they at least tried to offer a more balanced =
wrote:</div><br class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"><blockquote =
type=3D"cite">  <font face=3D"Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif">The Osprey =
is still around the mouth of the River Philip and so is the Bald Eagle. =
I have seen the Eagle from the mouth of the river to about half way to =
Oxford along the river edge. <br> The Osprey seems to stay near the =
mouth and the near by marshy areas.</font><font face=3D"Helvetica, =
Arial, sans-serif"> I haven't seen a nest for either =
species.</font><font face=3D"Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif"> Do Osprey =
fish in salt water? Will they live this close to each others areas? <br> =
class=3D"moz-signature" cols=3D"72">--=20
The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful =
servant.=20
We have created a society that honours the servant and has forgotten the =
gift.=20

--Apple-Mail-1--279545396--