[NatureNS] Question: Underwater Predation Of Ducklings

From: Sean Mitchell <smitchel@stfx.ca>
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2010 11:59:55 -0300

The nearest muskellunge are in the St. John River system, though a very large chain pickerel (which are in lakes of Nova Scotia) may be able to take a very small duckling.  I am not aware of any other freshwater fish that could, or would, do this. Is this occurring in freshwater, estuary or saltwater?  That will narrow down the list of possible suspects.

Sean
Sean C. Mitchell, PhD.
Executive Director,
St. Mary's River Association