[NatureNS] Common Yellowthroat behaviour

From: Ann Morrison <jastatu@gmail.com>
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2010 11:25:21 -0300
Cc: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

My brother has crazy Juncos doing the same thing at his house for
several years now (during nesting). He even has to fold in his side
view mirrors on his car to keep them from spending the day attacking
themselves.

But it's gone further. Last year, I followed the sound to inside the
base of his BBQ! It was a stainless steel cupboard of sorts that was
open a bit in the back. The Junco was flying in and attacking his
reflection on the inside. At first I thought he was just looking for
bugs and got stuck. But he came back again until I rubbed something on
it to dullen the reflection.

The nest is in the nearby Yew. The Juncos, and probably a lot of bird
parents, are little bulldogs when it comes to protecting their young.

Ann M
Hfx
Sent from my iPhone

On 2010-06-13, at 1:07 PM, Bruce Stevens <m.bruce.stevens@gmail.com>