[NatureNS] Tides and Time of day for pelagic birds in Bay of Fundy

Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2010 22:57:58 -0300
From: Lois Codling <loiscodling@hfx.eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--Boundary_(ID_Z/yF94axJtT+6ghA1XlSnA)

Thanks a lot, Eric, we'll hope for the best!
Lois Codling

On 13/06/2010 8:57 PM, Eric L. Mills wrote:
> Lois - tide and time of day don't matter too much. Luck counts for a lot. You can narrow the
> odds by going on one of the whale cruises (Mariner Cruises or Brier Island Whale and
> Seabird Cruises) from Westport from about mid August on through September. Fulmars are
> off and on again in summer - this summer may be one of the on ones. Parasitic and
> especially Pomarine Jaegers are regular but not abundant. Occasionally they are seen from
> Northern Point or Western Light on Brier. Don't count on seeing Cory's Shearwater off Brier
> Island (Chebucto Head in November may be a better bet!) - it is a warm-water offshore
> species and has not been reliably documented from waters off Brier. South Polar Skua is a
> possibility almost anytime in August or September - but not a species one can count on. On
> Saturday I asked the naturalist on one of the whale cruises how often a season, on average,
> she saw a Skua - she said about 5 times. That works out to about one every two weeks.
> Most of us who go to sea regularly off Brier have seen the species there - but always
> unexpectedly.
>
> It's a bit of a lottery seabird-watching from or off Brier - most of the time you come up with
> nothing (which means the usual shearwaters and storm-petrels) - and then once in a while
> you hit paydirt. That 's a  realistic assessment, I think.
>
> Eric
>

> On 13 Jun 2010 at 20:18, Lois Codling wrote:
>

>> Could anyone tell me which tides and which times of day are better for
>> spotting pelagic birds off Briar Is.?  We are particularly interested in
>> seeing: N. Fulmar, Pomarine and Parasitic Jaegers, Cory's Shearwater, S.
>> Polar Skua.
>> Thanks a lot!
>> Lois Codling

--Boundary_(ID_Z/yF94axJtT+6ghA1XlSnA)

<head>
 http-equiv="Content-Type">
</head>
Thanks a lot, Eric, we'll hope for the best!<br>
Lois Codling<br>
On 13/06/2010 8:57 PM, Eric L. Mills wrote:
  <pre wrap="">Lois - tide and time of day don't matter too much. Luck counts for a lot. You can narrow the
[...]

    <pre wrap="">Could anyone tell me which tides and which times of day are better for
spotting pelagic birds off Briar Is.?  We are particularly interested in
seeing: N. Fulmar, Pomarine and Parasitic Jaegers, Cory's Shearwater, S.
Polar Skua.
Thanks a lot!
Lois Codling

    </pre>