[NatureNS] A day in and around Winnipeg

From: Richard Stern <sternrichard@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2010 21:49:17 -0300
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--0016e68f9eecf264880488f2dc12

This weekend I was on a course in Winnipeg, so I took an extra day and
rented a car to go birding. I realize that Winnipeg isn't in NS(!), but I
know there are plenty of NatureNS-ers who have been or lived there.
Unfortunately it  was dreary with low cloud, mist and almost continuous
drizzle. I went out to Pinawa, in boreal forest country about 100km east of
the City, where the highlight was a road sign that said "Great Gray Owl
Habitat next 2km" - so far that's the nearest I have ever got to the real
thing! The general birding, as far as the rain would allow, though, was good
and varied. I also visited Oak Hammock Marsh, where the birds were rather
few and far between, and this morning, before catching the return flight,
spent a productive hour in Assiniboine Park in the City. I saw/ heard 51
species, and the highlights for me were the White Pelicans at Lockport on
the Red River, Western Meadowlarks singing by the roadside, Black Terns and
Yellow-headed Blackbirds at Oak Hammock, great looks at a Clay-colored
Sparrow, a colony of 500+ Cliff Swallows at the Assiniboine Park footbridge,
and Franklin's Gulls flying over the City - I realise that all these are
common there, but it was a nice change for me as a visitor.

Richard

--
#################
Richard Stern,

sternrichard@gmail.com
###################

--0016e68f9eecf264880488f2dc12

This weekend I was on a course in Winnipeg, so I took an extra day and rent=
ed a car to go birding. I realize that Winnipeg isn&#39;t in NS(!), but I k=
now there are plenty of NatureNS-ers who have been or lived there. Unfortun=
ately it=A0 was dreary with low cloud, mist and almost continuous drizzle. =
I went out to Pinawa, in boreal forest country about 100km east of the City=
, where the highlight was a road sign that said &quot;Great Gray Owl Habita=
t next 2km&quot; - so far that&#39;s the nearest I have ever got to the rea=
l thing! The general birding, as far as the rain would allow, though, was g=
ood and varied. I also visited Oak Hammock Marsh, where the birds were rath=
er few and far between, and this morning, before catching the return flight=
, spent a productive hour in Assiniboine Park in the City. I saw/ heard 51 =
species, and the highlights for me were the White Pelicans at Lockport on t=
he Red River, Western Meadowlarks singing by the roadside, Black Terns and =
Yellow-headed Blackbirds at Oak Hammock, great looks at a Clay-colored Spar=
row, a colony of 500+ Cliff Swallows at the Assiniboine Park footbridge, an=
d Franklin&#39;s Gulls flying over the City - I realise that all these are =
common there, but it was a nice change for me as a visitor.<br>

href=3D"mailto:sternrichard@gmail.com">sternrichard@gmail.com</a><br>######=

--0016e68f9eecf264880488f2dc12--