[NatureNS] Crow behaviour

Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2010 20:24:59 -0300
From: Lois Codling <loiscodling@hfx.eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--Boundary_(ID_sWBV6FmbmcnIHrrfBcCnhw)

Same thing happens here, Pat, with Am.Crows soaking their bread in our
birdbath!

Lois Codling,
L. Sackville

On 08/06/2010 8:11 PM, Pat wrote:
> Daily, there is at least one crow, and sometimes two, that come to my
> bird watering tray, which is about 2 feet off the ground, to engage
> in, what I like to call, problem-solving behaviour.  A neighbour
> throws out dried slices of bread, fish heads, etc. that are larger in
> size than handfuls of seed, to the larger birds.  A crow picks up
> something from my neighbour's yard, brings it over here, puts in the
> water tray and soaks it.  While the meal is soaking, the crow will
> either wait sitting on the edge of the water tray, walk around my
> newly-planted cucumber/tomato patch, or watch from the roof of the
> garage.  Sometimes, it is only a few minutes, sometimes it is up to 10
> to 15 minutes before the crow comes back, perches on the water tray
> and proceeds to dip the soggy meal out of the water and eat it,
> sometimes giving it to another crow, as well.  I have been watching
> this activity for about 2-3 weeks now and it seems it is becoming a
> daily occurrence.  Since other birds drink water from the ceramic
> container, after the crow meal, the container has to be cleaned out
> and refilled with water.
>
> Patricia Dix
> Greenwich, NS

--Boundary_(ID_sWBV6FmbmcnIHrrfBcCnhw)

<head>
 http-equiv="Content-Type">
</head>
Same thing happens here, Pat, with Am.Crows soaking their bread in our
birdbath!<br>
Lois Codling,<br>
L. Sackville<br>
On 08/06/2010 8:11 PM, Pat wrote:
there is at least one crow, and sometimes two, that come to my bird
watering tray, which is about 2 feet off the ground, to engage in, what
I like to call, problem-solving behaviour.&nbsp; A neighbour throws out
dried slices of bread, fish heads, etc. that are larger in size than
handfuls of seed, to the larger birds.&nbsp; A crow picks up something from
my neighbour's yard, brings it over here, puts in the water tray and
soaks it.&nbsp; While the meal is soaking, the crow will either wait sitting
on the edge of the water tray, walk around my newly-planted
cucumber/tomato patch, or watch from the roof of the garage.&nbsp;
Sometimes, it is only a few minutes, sometimes it is up to 10 to 15
minutes before the crow comes back, perches on the water tray and
proceeds to dip the soggy meal out of the water and eat it, sometimes
giving it to another crow, as well.&nbsp; I have been watching this activity
for about 2-3 weeks now and it seems it is becoming a daily
occurrence.&nbsp; Since other birds drink water from the ceramic container,
after the crow meal, the container has to be cleaned out and refilled
with water.
Patricia Dix
Greenwich, NS<br>
  <pre wrap="">