[NatureNS] White Point birds

From: Marg Millard <mmillard@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2010 18:22:52 -0300

 spectacular morning but the clo

--Boundary_(ID_VT5DgEVL3t+qxipRBqsn0Q)

Hi Marg,

I saw a similar swallow+feather behaviour years ago, but no one could ever tell me what it signified.  In that case, it was a single bird and a single white feather; the swallow would catch the feather in flight, make a loop back around to roughly where it started, release the feather, loop back around and catch it again as it drifted.  Eventually the feather came to earth and the "game"(?) ended.  If memory serves, it was early in the season, so likely not a juvenile practising, and I thought if it was some sort of selection process for nesting material it went on rather a long time.

Cheers,

A. Woolaver
Hi A.
I am glad someone else has seen this. It was so neat!!

I know each swallow nest here  for the past 20 years has had beautiful  "cup" of white feathers in it, usually three sometimes fewer. I haven't seen one without any, never more. Dirty by the time the nest is abandoned. I wondered if it was a mating thing.
I have seen the birds arrive and struggle to get the feathers in the house, sometimes a big job from the look of things. Just getting the feathers and getting them to nest locations must be a lot of work. The feathers are bigger than the birds. I have wondered for years where they went to get them.
Marg Millard, White Point

http://MargMillard.ca

--Boundary_(ID_VT5DgEVL3t+qxipRBqsn0Q)

<HTML><HEAD>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff background="">
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Hi Marg,<BR>&nbsp;<BR>I saw a similar
swallow+feather behaviour years ago, but no one could ever tell me what it
signified.&nbsp; In that case, it was a single bird and a single white feather;
the swallow would catch the feather in flight, make a loop back around to
roughly where it started, release the feather, loop back around and catch it
again as it drifted.&nbsp; Eventually the feather came to earth and the
"game"(?) ended.&nbsp; If memory serves, it was early in the season, so likely
not a juvenile practising, and I thought if it was some sort of selection
process for nesting material it went on rather a long
time.<BR>&nbsp;<BR>Cheers,<BR>&nbsp;<BR>A.
Woolaver<BR>............................<BR>Hi A. <BR>I am glad someone else has
seen this. It was so neat!!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>I know each swallow nest here &nbsp;for the past
20&nbsp;years has had beautiful&nbsp; "cup" of white feathers in it, usually
three sometimes fewer. I haven't seen one without any, never more. Dirty by the
time the nest is abandoned. I wondered if it was a mating thing. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>I have seen the birds arrive and struggle to get
the feathers in the house, sometimes a big job from the look of things. Just
getting the feathers and getting them to nest locations must be a lot of work.
The feathers are bigger than the birds. I have wondered for years where they
went to get them.<BR>Marg Millard, White Point</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial
size=2><BR>http://MargMillard.ca</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

--Boundary_(ID_VT5DgEVL3t+qxipRBqsn0Q)--