[NatureNS] Re: Need birdsong ID

Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2010 10:08:25 -0300
From: Eleanor Lindsay <kelindsay@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--Boundary_(ID_NzEr3pZhl4iGlRXbHDJRxw)

What about a grackle - it surely has the rustiest hinge sound of all...!

Eleanor Lindsay

On 06/06/2010 10:30 PM, andy dean wrote:
> Did you consider a frog? I was with some fellow seasoned naturalists recently and it took several minutes of listening to a 'bird call' which we eventually agreed was a frog.
>
> Andy and Lelia Dean
> 86 Baden Powell Drive
> Kentville, N.S.
> (902) 678-6243

<head>
 http-equiv="Content-Type">
  <title></title>
</head>
surely has the rustiest hinge sound of all</font>...!<br>
On 06/06/2010 10:30 PM, andy dean wrote:
 type="cite">
  <pre wrap="">Did you consider a frog? I was with some fellow seasoned naturalists recently and it took several minutes of listening to a 'bird call' which we eventually agreed was a frog.

Andy and Lelia Dean
86 Baden Powell Drive
Kentville, N.S.
(902) 678-6243

  Thanks to everyone who suggested possible birds that I might be hearing at the Annapolis Royal Marsh.  However, I'm pretty sure that it is none of those that were suggested, as I'm familiar with their songs (except for the Rusty Blackbird, but when I checked out its song online, it is definitely not that).

  Where the sound is coming from, among the cattails at the edge of the marsh, there are sora, pied-billed grebes and red-winged blackbirds nesting or tending young, but I know it's none of them.  There is also an American Coot that hangs out nearby, but it is not a coot sound.  It appears as though the sound is coming from among the cattails, likely in or close to the water.  The last time I heard it I could distinguish 3 or 4 distinct notes, same pitch, close together, but still very raspy and low pitched.

  Lois Jenkins
  </pre>
  <pre wrap="">