[NatureNS] Brown Thrasher(update) and Snowy Egret

From: Hans Toom <Htoom@hfx.eastlink.ca>
To: "Naturens@Chebucto.Ns.Ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Fri, 28 May 2010 11:32:42 -0300

--Boundary_(ID_0NoxDPHw6DsCc8FBg6WwSg)

This morning on my way out the door I heard our Brown Thrasher singing, quite softly now.  This is consistent with previously observed behaviour.  The thrasher powers back its song and stops singing altogether when nesting begins.  There is no need to reveal one's nest location, or perhaps there is just too much to do to spend time singing.  Bird behaviour can only be observed and not calculated so projecting human logic on all of this is a mug's game.

I usually return home on the Sambro loop in order to look for waders along the coastline.  This morning I spotted a Snowy Egret in the Sambro bog.  A few years ago I photographed a Snowy Egret and a Great Egret, side by side.  I didn't see the Great Egret this morning but this is usual at or near high tide.

Hans

_________________________________
Hans Toom
Portuguese Cove, Nova Scotia, Canada
Website: http://hanstoom.com
_________________________________

--Boundary_(ID_0NoxDPHw6DsCc8FBg6WwSg)

<HTML><HEAD>
<META name=GENERATOR content="MSHTML 8.00.6001.18904">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>This morning on my way out the door I heard our
<STRONG>Brown Thrasher</STRONG> singing, quite softly now.&nbsp; This is
consistent with previously observed behaviour.&nbsp; The thrasher powers back
its song and stops&nbsp;singing altogether when nesting begins.&nbsp; There is
no need to reveal one's nest location, or perhaps there is just too much to do
to spend time singing.&nbsp; Bird behaviour can only be observed and not
calculated so projecting human logic on all of this is a mug's
game.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>I usually return home on the Sambro loop in order
to look for waders along the coastline.&nbsp; This morning I spotted a
<STRONG>Snowy Egret</STRONG> in the Sambro bog.&nbsp; A few years ago I
photographed a Snowy Egret&nbsp;and a Great Egret, side by side.&nbsp; I didn't
see the Great Egret this morning but this is usual at or near high
tide.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Hans</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>_________________________________<BR>Hans
Toom<BR>Portuguese Cove, Nova Scotia, Canada<BR>Website: <A
href="http://hanstoom.com">http://hanstoom.com</A>

--Boundary_(ID_0NoxDPHw6DsCc8FBg6WwSg)--