[NatureNS] Concern re: Palmeter Woods

From: Richard Stern <sternrichard@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 26 May 2010 11:37:08 -0300
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--001636c924c29e9801048780369f

Many of you will have sen references here to the area of woodland in
W.Kentville known unofficially as Palmeter Woods. It lies in what used (?)
to be the Kentville Federal Migratory Bird Sanctuary. There are a number of
walking trails, used by local hikers, dog-walkers, X-country skiers and
naturalists. There is a huge, ugly open sand pit to the west, behind the
property "Seven Bridges". As Andy Dean pointed out the other day, there is
currently some earth moving equipment digging up the ground in 1 area in
there, and the beautiful old oak tree that several people designated one of
NS's important trees in a recent survey, has had a number of limbs chopped
off to allow access.

After a number of local enquiries I have learned that they are testing the
sand in there to see if it is of enough commercial value to extract it
(which would presumably mean chopping down the woods and digging another
huge sand pit if it is). This is not within the Bird Sanctuary - it's on
private land , and is posted "Private Property". The public are presumably
allowed to use the area with their unwritten consent.

I have little experience with dealing with this kind of issue, and
furthermore I have a personal conflict of interest in that I do not wish to
get on the wrong side of the land-owner, whom I know, for totally unrelated
reasons. Also, I wouldn't want the land-owner to prevent access to the area
because he is annoyed with environmentalists,  but ..... is there any way
for an environmental group, or the public, or whoever, to monitor this, and
is there any way to preserve these woods and prevent them being turned into
an environmentally disastrous sand-pit?

Richard
--
#################
Richard Stern,

sternrichard@gmail.com
###################

--001636c924c29e9801048780369f

Many of you will have sen references here to the area of woodland in W.Kent=
ville known unofficially as Palmeter Woods. It lies in what used (?) to be =
the Kentville Federal Migratory Bird Sanctuary. There are a number of walki=
ng trails, used by local hikers, dog-walkers, X-country skiers and naturali=
sts. There is a huge, ugly open sand pit to the west, behind the property &=
quot;Seven Bridges&quot;. As Andy Dean pointed out the other day, there is =
currently some earth moving equipment digging up the ground in 1 area in th=
ere, and the beautiful old oak tree that several people designated one of N=
S&#39;s important trees in a recent survey, has had a number of limbs chopp=
ed off to allow access. <br>

the sand in there to see if it is of enough commercial value to extract it =
(which would presumably mean chopping down the woods and digging another hu=
ge sand pit if it is). This is not within the Bird Sanctuary - it&#39;s on =
private land , and is posted &quot;Private Property&quot;. The public are p=
resumably allowed to use the area with their unwritten consent.<br>

hermore I have a personal conflict of interest in that I do not wish to get=
 on the wrong side of the land-owner, whom I know, for totally unrelated re=
asons. Also, I wouldn&#39;t want the land-owner to prevent access to the ar=
ea because he is annoyed with environmentalists,=A0 but ..... is there any =
way for an environmental group, or the public, or whoever, to monitor this,=
 and is there any way to preserve these woods and prevent them being turned=
 into an environmentally disastrous sand-pit?<br>

--001636c924c29e9801048780369f--