[NatureNS] Mourning Cloaks -- two different forms or species

From: Marg Millard <mmillard@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Tue, 25 May 2010 17:22:01 -0300

style=3D

--Boundary_(ID_z5o+xQSnZqC5hQ8U+dXD0g)

Hi Marg,

On 25-May-10, at 1:59 PM, Marg Millard wrote:

  We usually have a number of Mourning cloaks here. Big ones and smaller. I thought maybe just different stages of development.

Adult butterflies are the final stage of the development of a butterfly which goes from egg, through several larval instars, to become a chrysalis, finally emerging as an adult butterfly. Once they emerge as adults they no longer grow at all. There will be some variation in adult size based on the nutrition of the larvae as they were growing, sexual dimorphism, and (if these are present here in Nova Scotia) different subspecies.

Thank you for pointing that out Chris. I knew that. I used to help my sister catch butterflies many years ago....she's is a bug tech. Sometimes my mouth runs on before my brain kicks in.........so do we assume I probably have the two?
I hate the capturing and killing and pinning.....if someone wanted to come here at that time, assuming we still live here (house is for sale) they are welcome.
Marg Millard, White Point, Queens
http://MargMillard.ca

--Boundary_(ID_z5o+xQSnZqC5hQ8U+dXD0g)

<HTML><HEAD>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2><FONT face="Times New Roman" size=3>Hi Marg,
</FONT>
<DIV><BR>
<DIV>
<DIV>On 25-May-10, at 1:59 PM, Marg Millard wrote:</DIV><BR
class=Apple-interchange-newline>
<BLOCKQUOTE type="cite"><SPAN class=Apple-style-span
  style="WORD-SPACING: 0px; FONT: medium 'Times New Roman'; TEXT-TRANSFORM: none; COLOR: rgb(0,0,0); TEXT-INDENT: 0px; WHITE-SPACE: normal; LETTER-SPACING: normal; BORDER-COLLAPSE: separate; orphans: 2; widows: 2; -webkit-border-horizontal-spacing: 0px; -webkit-border-vertical-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-decorations-in-effect: none; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px">
  <DIV bgcolor="#ffffff">
  <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>We usually have a number of Mourning cloaks here.
  Big ones and smaller. I thought maybe just different stages of development.
  </FONT></DIV></DIV></SPAN></BLOCKQUOTE>
<DIV><BR></DIV>
<DIV>Adult butterflies are the final stage of the development of a butterfly
which goes from egg, through several larval instars, to become a chrysalis,
finally emerging as an adult butterfly. Once they emerge as adults they no
longer grow at all. There will be some variation in adult size based on the
nutrition of the larvae as they were growing, sexual dimorphism, and (if these
are present here in Nova Scotia) different subspecies.&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>.................................</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Thank you for pointing that out Chris. I knew that. I used to help my
sister catch butterflies many years ago....she's is a bug tech. Sometimes my
mouth runs on before my brain kicks in.........so do we assume I probably have
the two? </DIV>
<DIV>I hate the capturing and killing and pinning.....if someone wanted to come
here at that time, assuming we still live here (house is for sale) they are
welcome. </DIV>
<DIV>Marg Millard, White Point, Queens</DIV></DIV></DIV></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2><A
href="http://MargMillard.ca">http://MargMillard.ca</A></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

--Boundary_(ID_z5o+xQSnZqC5hQ8U+dXD0g)--