[NatureNS] early E Wood-Pewee arrival - Wolfville Ridge

From: "Judy Tufts" <tandove@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: "NatureNS" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sun, 23 May 2010 16:23:12 -0300

A new arrival : Eastern Wood-Pewee is announcing his presence in our
backyard this morning, ahead of our expected date by a few days.

There has been a flurry of warbler arrivals too in the past few days. N
Parula, Chestnut-sided, and Blk-thr. Green warblers are beginning to sing in
the backyard. Yellow-rumps have been here for some time. More than the usual
number of Ovenbirds arrived almost two weeks ago, are busy setting up
territories and can be heard almost everywhere it seems.  Must have been a
good winter for this species.

The level of birdsong in our backyard is higher this spring which is most
welcome to me as I am temporarily housebound. We finally saw our first MALE
Ruby-thr. Hummingbird a couple of days ago, a female arrived a week ago.

Saw a Tiger Swallowtail - first of the season- in the garden yesterday.
Looking out at the bird feeders this morning, my eye was caught with a
bright touch of pink in the woodland background, to be surprised and
delighted to find a beautiful Pink Lady Slipper standing in solitary regal
splendour in a location where we have never had one before!

Cheers,

Judy Tufts

  Judy Tufts

 Wolfville NS