[NatureNS] A sad outcome for a white-breasted nuthatch pair

From: James Hirtle <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: Naturens Naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sun, 16 May 2010 01:37:06 +0000

--_3fc6689b-a1ad-4f57-8806-fd7b3dc88037_

I received an update from Lloyd Westhaver from Mahone Bay today for a white=
-breasted nuthatch pair.

=20

 Just an update on the white brested nuthatches that built a nest in the ho=
le on weeping willow.  Since I wrote you last =2C they had layed and hatche=
d out their eggs . The male fed the female all day long as she layed on the=
 eggs.After they hatched=2C he gathered insects=2C both to feed her and the=
 young.After about ten days he started bringing both nuts and insects for t=
he young =2C I guess he had his job cut out because the female started to h=
elp out on his quest for to feed the young=2C each bringing back to the nes=
t.This is the sad part=2C with both the male and female bringing home food =
=2C there were times when the nest went unguarded and wouldn't you know =2C=
a chipmunk ran up the tree and in the hole where the young was. Both parent=
s arrived back to find this intruder in with their young. The female spraye=
d her wing out.out in front of the hole and kept darting her head in to att=
ack the intruder=2Cto no avail.the chipmunk stayed in the nest for about tw=
enty minutes before it came out =2Cran down the tree and across the road. t=
he female was weary=2C but went into the hole and the male waited outside w=
ith some insects in his mouth .the female =2C after about five minutes came=
 out with something in its mouth and flew away and dropped what she had=2C =
then she came back again . The male was quite confused and would not go in =
the nest =2C but still fed the female what he had.Then i found out what she=
 had been bringing out =2C it was her young and flew with their bodies and =
layed them in a crutch of a shumac tree nearby.I went over to check on them=
 and much to my dismay =2Ceach chick had its head tore off by the chipmunk =
and the female lugged them all out of the nest .one by one and layed them i=
n the crutch of the tree.The male is still looking in the hole and don't qu=
ite know what is going on. I believe she only had three chicks=2C from what=
 i gather.maybe she had more . I see they are both still out in the weeping=
 willow but not gathering any more food.i will wait for another day or two =
and then i am going to plug the hole.The misses and i watched these two nut=
hatches each and every day and do not want this to happen before our eyes a=
gain so the hole will be no more.Just thought it would be a happy ending.

=20

James R. Hirtle

Bayport
=20

 		 	   		 =20
30 days of prizes to be won with Hotmail.  Enter Here.
http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=3D9729709=

--_3fc6689b-a1ad-4f57-8806-fd7b3dc88037_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px=3B
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
font-size: 10pt=3B
font-family:Verdana
}
--></style>
</head>
I received an update from Lloyd Westhaver from Mahone Bay today for a white=
-breasted nuthatch pair.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
&nbsp=3BJust an update on the white brested nuthatches that built a nest in=
 the hole on&nbsp=3Bweeping willow.&nbsp=3B Since&nbsp=3BI wrote you last =
=2C they had layed and hatched out their eggs . The male fed the female all=
 day long as she layed on the eggs.After they hatched=2C he gathered insect=
s=2C both to feed her and the young.After about ten days he started bringin=
g both nuts and insects for the young =2C&nbsp=3BI guess he had his job cut=
[...]
hought it would be a happy ending.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
James R. Hirtle<BR>
Bayport<BR>&nbsp=3B<BR><BR><BR> 		 	   		  <br /><hr />30 days of prizes: H=
otmail makes your day easier! <a href=3D'http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=3D=
9729704' target=3D'_new'>Enter now</a></body>

--_3fc6689b-a1ad-4f57-8806-fd7b3dc88037_--