[NatureNS] Very Thin Crescent Moon and Space Station Observation

From: Sherman Williams <sherm@glinx.com>
Date: Sat, 15 May 2010 21:27:22 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

The sky pretty much from SW to SE was full of cloud, so it was ISS no
show, for me.   Just about 9:03 a large clear patch moving in from
the NW revealed the thin crescent moon and then Venus, but by then
the space station had gone beyond.  I could see that low in the SE it
looked like there was open sky  and already I have a report that
folks near Halifax (Bedford) did get a great view of the whole pass.

I would add that the thin crescent Moon is worth a look (2-days past
New Moon), with Venus shining brightly about 5.5 degrees above-left
of the Moon.  Moon set is about 10:45, so as the sky darkens it will
very nicely show Earthshine on the Moon's dark side.  If you were on
the Moon looking at Earth tonight.  Tarth would be like a gibbous
Moon (nearly a full Earth).  Thus the bright Earthshine on the dark
part of the Moon.

I recommend a look if the cloud permits.

Sherman