[NatureNS] Recordings wanted of Red Crossbill calls from the Maritimes

Date: Sat, 15 May 2010 11:43:01 -0300
To: NatureNB@unb.ca, naturens@chebucto.ns.ca, Peibirders@upei.ca
From: David Christie <MarysPt@nbnet.nb.ca>

Greetings,

Seeing a pair of Red Crossbills picking up road grit as I travelled across Caledonia Mountain, NB, yesterday, reminded me of a month-old request I had received from Matt Young at Cornell University, who is very interested in receiving recordings of the calls of RED CROSSBILLS [Bec-croisé des sapins] from the Maritimes.  If you encounter Red Crossbills and can obtain (or already have obtained) some audio or video recordings of their calls, please contact Matt <may6 AT cornell.edu>.  Our region is poorly represented in the archives of crossbill vocalizations.

For some information on the varying Red Crossbill populations, check the following webpage http://research.amnh.org/vz/ornithology/crossbills/index.html  and others linked to it.

David

--

David Christie
Mary's Point, Harvey, Albert Co., New Brunswick, Canada