[NatureNS] National bird of Canada

From: "David & Alison Webster" <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Mon, 10 May 2010 19:16:07 -0300

Hi Ian & All,                May 10, 2010
    Bird calls are subject to interpretation.

    Collins (1959) quotes variants of both forms; Old Sam PEAbody, PEAbody,
PEAbody and O sweet Canada, Canada, Canada for the White-throated sparrow
but seems to favor the latter by his comment; "From...Massachusetts to
Mackenzie....  the pure whistle of the White-throat salutes its northern
homeland, O sweet Canada, Canada, Canada".

    Genuine common names, those passed from generation to generation without
reference to the printed word, sometimes differ from the common names of
field guides.

    The Gray Jay for example was (affectionately) called Camp Robber, by
those who worked in the woods, because it would often show up at lunch time
and hang around quietly until it could swoop down for a bit of someone's
lunch that had been set aside for this purpose.

Yt, Dave Webster, Kentville