[NatureNS] National bird of Canada

From: Brian Bartlett <bbartlett@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Mon, 10 May 2010 11:29:54 -0300

style="BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; PADDING

--Boundary_(ID_nvziKLY9xd+rKNTucG4Cvw)

Yes, my choice too would be for Gray Jay -- or Raven  -- before Red-tailed Hawk. The choice of a hawk species smacks too much of Canadians trying to imitate Americans with their "charismatic megafauna" Bald Eagle. As Ian said on the radio this morning, maybe the powers-that-be could be encouraged to officially re-recognize the term Canada Jay. (After all, guides still stick with American Robin, American Wigeon, American Bittern, American Pipit, American Dipper). As it is, the Gray Jay's Latin name is still Perisoreus canadensis. The variety of common names are another plus for the bird: Gray Jay, Canada Jay, Whiskey Jack, Gorbie, Moosebird, etc.
Brian