[NatureNS] Nine Warbler Species and Morning Cloak Butterfly

From: Hans Toom <Htoom@hfx.eastlink.ca>
To: "Naturens@Chebucto.Ns.Ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Thu, 06 May 2010 12:09:28 -0300

--Boundary_(ID_T+u0pmjq9ygx9QXGFF4kAg)

My morning stroll at Jerry Lawrence Provincial Park turned up nine warblers species; Nashville, Northern Parula, Chestnut-sided, Yellow-rumped, Black-throated Green, Palm, Black-and-White, Ovenbird and Common Yellowthroat.  In my experience the numbers and diversity of warblers now present is comparable to Point Pelee National Park for this time of year, May 6, which puts our warbler waves two to three weeks early.  It certainly challenges the widely held belief that birds departing Mexico, the Caribbean and South American couldn't possibly know how good the weather is here, or maybe its a case of the warbler waves meeting no weather resistance on the way north, "clear sailing" as it were, except of course for our friends in Alberta who are shovelling snow.

While I was walking the road I heard the two part whistle of a Broad-winged Hawk overhead. Later over the bog I saw two Osprey and a Broad-wing Hawk soaring together, not a sight I see every day.  On the return walk I encountered a Morning Cloak Butterfly, a rather pale version, but quite the surprise nonetheless.

Caution, the park is infested with black flies.

Hans

_________________________________
Hans Toom
Portuguese Cove, Nova Scotia, Canada
Website: http://hanstoom.com
_________________________________

--Boundary_(ID_T+u0pmjq9ygx9QXGFF4kAg)

<HTML><HEAD>
<META name=GENERATOR content="MSHTML 8.00.6001.18904">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>My morning stroll at Jerry Lawrence Provincial Park
turned up&nbsp;nine warblers species; <STRONG>Nashville, Northern Parula,
Chestnut-sided, Yellow-rumped, Black-throated Green, Palm, Black-and-White,
Ovenbird </STRONG>and <STRONG>Common Yellowthroat</STRONG>.&nbsp; In my
experience the numbers and diversity of warblers now present is comparable to
Point Pelee National Park for this time of year, May 6, which puts our warbler
waves two to three weeks early.&nbsp; It certainly challenges the&nbsp;widely
held belief that birds departing Mexico, the Caribbean and South American
couldn't possibly know how good the weather is here, or maybe its a case of the
warbler waves meeting no weather resistance on the way north, "clear sailing" as
it were, except of course for our friends in Alberta who are shovelling
snow.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>While I was walking the road I heard the two part
whistle of a <STRONG>Broad-winged Hawk</STRONG> overhead. Later over the bog I
saw two <STRONG>Osprey</STRONG> and a <STRONG>Broad-wing Hawk</STRONG> soaring
together, not a&nbsp;sight I see every day.&nbsp; On the return walk I
encountered a <STRONG>Morning Cloak </STRONG>Butterfly, a rather pale version,
but quite the surprise nonetheless.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Caution, the park is infested with black
flies.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Hans</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>_________________________________<BR>Hans
Toom<BR>Portuguese Cove, Nova Scotia, Canada<BR>Website: <A
href="http://hanstoom.com">http://hanstoom.com</A>

--Boundary_(ID_T+u0pmjq9ygx9QXGFF4kAg)--