[NatureNS] flock of eagles (breeding?) and liverwort sporophytes in

From: Caitlin Porter <caitlinporter@hotmail.com>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Tue, 4 May 2010 09:56:14 -0200

--_ad7b794e-11d7-4d04-bdf2-809fc620bd4a_

Hi all!

This is my first NatureNS post though I have been following other posts for=
 a while! I saw some pretty interesting things this weekend which I wanted =
to share.

 Thing #1: sporophytes of a thallose liverwort!  While visiting a waterfall=
 in Wentworth on Sunday I was lucky enough to come across these. For anyone=
 who doesn't know=2C a sporophyte is the spore producing structure of some =
plant species. On a moss or a liverwort=2C it  looks kind of like a capsule=
 ontop a stem. If you are familiar with haircap moss=2C it is the structure=
 with the haircap that is the sporophyte. With liverworts=2C sporophytes ar=
e not persistent=2C they may only be around for a few days or weeks so I ha=
ve rarely seen them. Their sporophyte capsules also 'explode' releasing the=
 spores into the air. It looks pretty cool! I have a few macro shots of the=
m in my dropbox. I am not sure what species this is. You can see them on th=
e internet here:=20

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6651688/P4220105.JPG
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6651688/P4220110.JPG
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6651688/P4220116.JPG
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6651688/P4220121.JPG

Thing #2: Flock of eagles=2C possibly breeding?
In my parents backyard on a saltmarsh estuary overlooking the Cobequid Bay=
=2C they have been watching a flock of bald eagles for about 3 days now (5-=
30 individuals overhead at a time).  The adults appear to be pairing up and=
 they told me they have seen them tumbling through the sky. Stopping by on =
the weekend I saw about 15 eagles overhead. The eagles are of different age=
s=2C there are some immature and some=20
adults. None of us have ever seen anything like this before.=20

Thanks!

Katie Porter=20

=20

=20

=20
=20

 		 	   		 =20
30 days of prizes to be won with Hotmail.  Enter here 		 	   		 =20
30 days of prizes: Hotmail makes your day easier! Enter Now.
http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=3D9729710=

--_ad7b794e-11d7-4d04-bdf2-809fc620bd4a_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px=3B
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
font-size: 10pt=3B
font-family:Verdana
}
--></style>
</head>
Hi all!<br><br>This is my first NatureNS post though I have been following =
other posts for a while! I saw some pretty interesting things this weekend =
ose liverwort</b>!&nbsp=3B While visiting a waterfall in Wentworth on Sunda=
y I was lucky enough to come across these. For anyone who doesn't know=2C a=
 sporophyte is the spore producing structure of some plant species. On a mo=
ss or a liverwort=2C it&nbsp=3B looks kind of like a capsule ontop a stem. =
If you are familiar with haircap moss=2C it is the structure with the hairc=
ap that is the sporophyte. With liverworts=2C sporophytes are not persisten=
t=2C they may only be around for a few days or weeks so I have rarely seen =
them. Their sporophyte capsules also 'explode' releasing the spores into th=
e air. It looks pretty cool! I have a few macro shots of them in my dropbox=
. I am not sure what species this is. You can see them on the internet here=
.com/u/6651688/P4220110.JPG<br>http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6651688/P4220116.JPG=
ock of eagles=2C possibly breeding?</b><br>In my parents backyard on a salt=
marsh estuary overlooking the Cobequid Bay=2C they have been watching a flo=
ck of bald eagles for about 3 days now (5-30 individuals overhead at a time=
).&nbsp=3B The adults appear to be pairing up and they told me they have se=
en them tumbling through the sky. Stopping by on the weekend I saw about 15=
 eagles overhead. The eagles are of different ages=2C there are some immatu=
re and some=20
adults. None of us have ever seen anything like this before. <br><br>Thanks=
&nbsp=3B<br>
es to be won with Hotmail.  <a href=3D"http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=3D97=
es your day easier! <a href=3D'http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=3D9729705' t=
arget=3D'_new'>Enter now</a></body>

--_ad7b794e-11d7-4d04-bdf2-809fc620bd4a_--