[NatureNS] Recent Birds

From: Hans Toom <Htoom@hfx.eastlink.ca>
To: "Naturens@Chebucto.Ns.Ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2010 11:49:08 -0300

--Boundary_(ID_o6DG7ML5quu+29Kz7H+34g)

I took a stroll in Jerry Lawrence Provincial Park yesterday and also this morning.  Yesterday there was one bright adult male Yellow-rumped Warbler.  This morning the place is loaded up with them plus a new addition, a bright adult Palm Warbler.  The bog is now fully occupied with Swamp Sparrows many chasing each other around and trying to establish territory.  The Hermit Thrushes are starting to sing while the Ruby-crowned Kinglets have been hard at it for some time.  I was delighted to spot a Broad-winged Hawk circling overhead.  They nest here every year, and yes indeed I have seen their young.

On my return home I swung by Sandy Cove's beach and was surprised to hear the Ipswich Sparrows singing.  I don't know if this means they may attempt to nest here rather than undertake the water crossing to Sable Island or if they sing while migrating, which many species do.  Sandy Cove's beach offers a rich habitat and ready source of food due to the kelp that piles here, then rots and attracts insects and other oceanic critters, all good to eat.  Yesterday Laura and I counted 14 American Robins on and around the beach taking advantage of the offerings.

I went to Martinique Beach last Thursday under fairly good weather conditions but found only three Piping Plovers, a disappointingly low number for this place at this time of year.  Perhaps there were others in the sand dunes.  The Pileated Woodpeckers have moved back into their nest cavity on the pole beside the road for at least the fourth year in a row.

Hans

_________________________________
Hans Toom
Portuguese Cove, Nova Scotia, Canada
Website: http://hanstoom.com
_________________________________

--Boundary_(ID_o6DG7ML5quu+29Kz7H+34g)

<HTML><HEAD>
<META name=GENERATOR content="MSHTML 8.00.6001.18904">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>I took a stroll in Jerry Lawrence Provincial Park
yesterday and also this morning.&nbsp; Yesterday there was one bright adult male
<STRONG>Yellow-rumped Warbler</STRONG>.&nbsp; This morning the place is loaded
up with them plus a new addition, a bright adult <STRONG>Palm
Warbler</STRONG>.&nbsp; The bog is now fully occupied with <STRONG>Swamp
Sparrows</STRONG> many chasing each other around and trying to establish
territory.&nbsp; The <STRONG>Hermit Thrushes</STRONG>&nbsp;are starting to sing
while the <STRONG>Ruby-crowned Kinglets</STRONG> have been hard at it for some
time.&nbsp; I was delighted to spot a <STRONG>Broad-winged Hawk</STRONG>
circling overhead.&nbsp; They nest here every year, and yes indeed I have seen
their young.&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>On my return home I swung by Sandy Cove's beach and
was surprised to hear the <STRONG>Ipswich Sparrows</STRONG> singing.&nbsp; I
don't know if this means they may attempt to nest here rather than undertake the
water crossing to Sable Island or if they sing while migrating, which many
species do.&nbsp; Sandy Cove's beach offers a rich habitat and ready source of
food due to the kelp that piles here, then rots and attracts insects and other
oceanic critters, all good to eat.&nbsp; Yesterday Laura and I counted 14
<STRONG>American Robins</STRONG> on and around the beach taking advantage of the
offerings.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>I went to Martinique Beach last Thursday under
fairly good weather conditions but found only three <STRONG>Piping
Plovers</STRONG>, a disappointingly low number for this place at this time of
year.&nbsp; Perhaps there were others in the sand dunes.&nbsp; The
<STRONG>Pileated Woodpeckers</STRONG> have moved back into their nest cavity on
the pole beside the road for at least the fourth year in a row.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Hans</FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>_________________________________<BR>Hans
Toom<BR>Portuguese Cove, Nova Scotia, Canada<BR>Website: <A
href="http://hanstoom.com">http://hanstoom.com</A>

--Boundary_(ID_o6DG7ML5quu+29Kz7H+34g)--