[NatureNS] Birds and Volcanic Ash (was Volcano Picture Link)

Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2010 21:35:09 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: "P.L. Chalmers" <plchalmers@ns.sympatico.ca>

--=====================_2085265==.ALT

The following interesting posting on this very topic appeared the
other day on another listserv, BirdChat.  Lots of questions for the future ...

         Patricia L. Chalmers
         Halifax

Subject: (How) Are Birds Affected by Volcanic Ash?
From: Devorah Bennu <birdologist AT YAHOO.COM>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2010 11:02:42 -0700

hello everyone,

as many of you know, april is the peak of the spring bird migration. if you've
followed the news at all, then you are aware that a volcano has been erupting
in south-central iceland and has sent an ash plume over much of northern
europe, including where i live with my parrots. the frankfurt airport was just
reopened a few hours ago, but the ash clouds are thickening once more,
obscuring the nearby hills, so who knows how long aircraft will
continue flying
into germany. anyway, all that said, one of my readers emailed about how
volcanic ash affects birds. i have spent the past two days researching this
question because there are no studies about this issue in birds (that i was
able to find), and i am sharing my thoughts and findings in the hopes that i
can help others who are faced with this problem now, or might be faced with it
in the future (i was a kid when Mt St Helens erupted and dumped eight
inches of
ash onto the area i lived in, for example).

here's the essay;

http://bit.ly/cnCXH3

if anyone knows of studies in birds of any species on this topic, i'd love it
if you send the reference, or better yet, send me the PDF!

cheers,

GrrlScientist
http://scienceblogs.com/grrlscientist/
http://blogs.nature.com/grrlscientist/
http://twitter.com/GrrlScientist
http://profile.to/grrlscientist/
American Expat living in Frankfurt, Germany

BirdChat Guidelines: http://www.ksu.edu/audubon/chatguidelines.html
Archives: http://listserv.arizona.edu/archives/birdchat.html

At 08:26 PM 21/04/2010, you wrote:
>Looking at pictures of those scary clouds of volcanic ash makes me
>wonder what will happen to European birds migrating North into
>it.  What does silica do to bird lungs - same as humans?
>
>Lois Codling
>
>I was thinking about eyes and food............and lungs, too. It
>looks so sticky wouldn't it stick to their feathers and weight them
>down? Gases are toxic? maybe bodies will be found encased as in Pompey?
>Marg in White Point, Queens
><http://MargMillard.ca>http://MargMillard.ca

--=====================_2085265==.ALT

The following interesting posting on this very topic appeared the other
day on another listserv, BirdChat.&nbsp; Lots of questions for the future
...<br><br>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>Patricia
L. Chalmers<br>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>Halifax<br>
_________________________________________________________________________________________<br>
<a name="1271786604"></a>Subject: (How) Are Birds Affected by Volcanic
Ash?<br>
From: Devorah Bennu &lt;birdologist AT YAHOO.COM&gt;<br>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2010 11:02:42 -0700<br><br>
hello everyone,<br><br>
as many of you know, april is the peak of the spring bird migration. if
you've <br>
followed the news at all, then you are aware that a volcano has been
erupting <br>
in south-central iceland and has sent an ash plume over much of northern
europe, including where i live with my parrots. the frankfurt airport was
just <br>
reopened a few hours ago, but the ash clouds are thickening once more,
obscuring the nearby hills, so who knows how long aircraft will continue
flying <br>
into germany. anyway, all that said, one of my readers emailed about how
volcanic ash affects birds. i have spent the past two days researching
this <br>
question because there are no studies about this issue in birds (that i
was <br>
able to find), and i am sharing my thoughts and findings in the hopes
that i <br>
can help others who are faced with this problem now, or might be faced
with it <br>
in the future (i was a kid when Mt St Helens erupted and dumped eight
inches of <br>
ash onto the area i lived in, for example). <br><br>
here's the essay;<br><br>
</a>if anyone knows of studies in birds of any species on this topic, i'd
love it <br>
if you send the reference, or better yet, send me the PDF! <br><br>
cheers,<br><br>
GrrlScientist<br>
http://scienceblogs.com/grrlscientist/<br>
</a><a href="http://blogs.nature.com/grrlscientist/" eudora="autourl">
http://blogs.nature.com/grrlscientist/<br>
</a><a href="http://twitter.com/GrrlScientist" eudora="autourl">
http://twitter.com/GrrlScientist<br>
</a><a href="http://profile.to/grrlscientist/" eudora="autourl">
http://profile.to/grrlscientist/<br>
BirdChat Guidelines:
http://www.ksu.edu/audubon/chatguidelines.html<br>
</a>Archives:
http://listserv.arizona.edu/archives/birdchat.html<br><br>
</a>At 08:26 PM 21/04/2010, you wrote:<br>
clouds of volcanic ash makes me wonder what will happen to European birds
migrating North into it.&nbsp; What does silica do to bird lungs - same
as humans?<br><br>
too. It looks so sticky wouldn't it stick to their feathers and weight
them down? Gases are toxic? maybe bodies will be found encased as in
Pompey?<br>
Marg in White Point, Queens<br>
http://MargMillard.ca</font>