[NatureNS] More Spring

From: Bob McDonald <bobathome@hfx.eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2010 16:00:41 -0300

--Boundary_(ID_YyWUfGI0jSrNFLLqs3kT1A)

Hello,

Purple finches of both sexes have appeared in number at our feeders - only the males are singing and a lovely song it is!!

Suzanne Borkowski and I, while surveying her owl route (NS #27) in Bowater property near Sandy Lake, heard and then saw our first Ruby-crowned Kinglet of the year.  Shortly after we had a Pileated Woodpecker flying and then calling although we could not catch sight of the perched bird.  Not much else noteworthy - lots of Juncos, Mourning Doves, BC Chickadees, Red-breasted Nuthatch but little else.  Suzanne heard Golden-crowned Kinglets at several locations but, sadly, their song is no longer within my hearing range!

Our Bloodroot at home (brought from my in-laws garden in Montreal many years ago) is now up - the leaf-sheath about 5 cm high and several plants are showing a white bud.  None are yet open.  Hoping for no more frost; otherwise they are toast!

Cheers,
Bob McDonald
Halifax

--Boundary_(ID_YyWUfGI0jSrNFLLqs3kT1A)

<HTML><HEAD>
<META name=GENERATOR content="MSHTML 8.00.6001.18904">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=2>Hello,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>Purple finches of both sexes have appeared in number at our
feeders - only the males are singing and a lovely song it is!!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>Suzanne Borkowski and I, while surveying her owl route (NS
#27) in Bowater property near Sandy Lake, heard and then saw our first
Ruby-crowned Kinglet of the year.&nbsp; Shortly after we had a Pileated
Woodpecker flying and then calling although we could not catch sight of
the&nbsp;perched bird.&nbsp; Not much else noteworthy - lots of Juncos, Mourning
Doves, BC Chickadees, Red-breasted Nuthatch&nbsp;but little else.&nbsp; Suzanne
heard Golden-crowned Kinglets at several locations but, sadly, their song is no
longer within my hearing range!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>Our Bloodroot at home (brought from my in-laws garden in
Montreal many years ago) is now up - the leaf-sheath about 5 cm high and several
plants&nbsp;are showing a white bud.&nbsp; None are yet open.&nbsp; Hoping for
no more frost; otherwise they are toast!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>Cheers,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>Bob McDonald</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>Halifax</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

--Boundary_(ID_YyWUfGI0jSrNFLLqs3kT1A)--