[NatureNS] easter Attlassing- Trafalgar area

From: Ken McKenna <kenmcken@eastlink.ca>
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sun, 04 Apr 2010 14:54:05 -0300

--Boundary_(ID_l9sEBjQWTv/Q4h6NnjdsOA)

Ken McKenna
Box 218 Stellarton NS
B0K 1S0
902 752-7644

Hi all
The forecast was for a calm Easter morning (Apr. 4) so I decided to head out a few hours before dawn to pick up some nocturnal species for Atlas squares 20NR11( Kincaid Mtn.)  and 20NR20 (Governors Lake). It was beautiful when I left home, at 5 a.m. , but 45 min. later when I reached my destination, it was very windy and foggy. Despite this, I heard about 6 Woodcock in the Kincaid square, but any attempt for owls was futile because of the wind.
I went on to the Governors square and had 3 more Woodcock before there was too much light (about 6:20).
The dawn chorus was fairly active despite the barren cut-over that predominates the areas I was in and the wind had reduced significantly.  Juncos were the most common singer, but Robins, Song Sparrows, Golden-crowned Kinglets, Red- breasted Nuthatches and finches  were quite vocal for the first couple of daylight hours. There are still quite a few White-winged Crossbills, Pine Siskins, Purple Finches and Goldfinches in this area.
There were a couple pair of Canada Geese setting up territories and a male WOOD DUCK and a male RING-NECKED DUCK. A couple of WINTER WRENS and a BROWN CREEPER added their songs to the dawn chorus. I was able to hear a couple RUSTY BLACKBIRDS near a lake and in the Trafalgar square (20NR21) I heard and saw 2 more male rustys.

Feeling I got as much as I could out of this section, I decided to check out Cox Road in the Long John Lake square( 20NR31). This square is more of a desert than the previous squares as it  is/was predominately plantation pine which is being rapidly harvested even though it is relatively small. leaving huge areas denuded of any vegetation. Needless to say I did not see much bird-life here and was surprised, by a strange sound coming from a few pines in the centre a one of these cut-overs. I was not sure if the sound was a bird or maybe an off-key wood frog. I just could not place the sound. I walked about 300 m to the site and managed to track the sound down to a NORTHERN SHRIKE  in full tune.

 On the way out, I saw 2 MOURNING CLOAK and 2 EASTERN COMMA  butterflies on muddy area of the road.

Nice to see and hear the spring resurrection in full swing, appropriate for Easter.

Happy Easter to all
Ken

--Boundary_(ID_l9sEBjQWTv/Q4h6NnjdsOA)

<HTML><HEAD>
<META name=GENERATOR content="MSHTML 8.00.6001.18904">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Ken McKenna<BR>Box 218 Stellarton NS<BR>B0K
1S0<BR>902 752-7644<BR></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Hi all</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>The forecast was for a calm Easter&nbsp;morning
(Apr. 4)&nbsp;so I decided to head out a few hours before dawn to pick up some
nocturnal species for Atlas squares 20NR11( Kincaid Mtn.) &nbsp;and 20NR20
(Governors Lake). It was beautiful when I left home, at 5 a.m. , but&nbsp;45
min.&nbsp;later when I reached my destination, it was very windy and foggy.
Despite this, I heard about 6 Woodcock in the Kincaid square, but any attempt
for owls was futile because of the wind. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>I went on to the Governors square and had&nbsp;3
more Woodcock before there was too much light (about 6:20). </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>The dawn chorus was fairly active despite the
barren cut-over that predominates the areas I was in and the wind had reduced
significantly. &nbsp;Juncos were the most common singer, but Robins, Song
Sparrows, Golden-crowned Kinglets, Red- breasted Nuthatches and finches&nbsp;
were quite vocal for the first couple of daylight hours. There are still quite a
few White-winged Crossbills, Pine Siskins, Purple Finches and Goldfinches in
this area. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>There were a couple pair of Canada Geese setting up
territories and a male WOOD DUCK&nbsp;and&nbsp;a male RING-NECKED DUCK.&nbsp;A
couple of WINTER WRENS and a BROWN CREEPER added their songs to the dawn chorus.
I was able to hear a couple RUSTY BLACKBIRDS near a lake and in the Trafalgar
square (20NR21) I heard and saw 2 more male rustys. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Feeling I got as much as I could out of this
section, I decided to check out&nbsp;Cox&nbsp;Road in the Long John Lake square(
20NR31). This square is more of a desert than the previous squares as it&nbsp;
is/was predominately plantation pine which is being rapidly harvested even
though it is relatively small. leaving huge areas denuded of any vegetation.
Needless to say&nbsp;I did not see much bird-life here and was surprised, by a
strange sound coming from a few pines in the centre a one of these cut-overs. I
was not sure if the sound was a bird or maybe an off-key wood frog. I just could
not place the sound. I walked about 300 m to the site and managed to track the
sound down to a NORTHERN SHRIKE&nbsp; in full tune. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>&nbsp;On the way out, I saw 2&nbsp;MOURNING
CLOAK&nbsp;and 2&nbsp;EASTERN COMMA &nbsp;butterflies on&nbsp;muddy area of
the&nbsp;road. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Nice to see and hear the spring resurrection in
full swing, appropriate for Easter. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Happy Easter to all</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Ken</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>&nbsp;</DIV></FONT></BODY></HTML>

--Boundary_(ID_l9sEBjQWTv/Q4h6NnjdsOA)--