[NatureNS] Melanistic Red Squirrel

Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 21:27:36 -0300
From: Ronald Arsenault <rongarsenault@gmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

N class=3DecxApple-converted-space&gt;&amp;nbsp=3B&lt;/SPAN&gt;&lt;BR&gt;&amp;gt=3
--00c09f8de75d10ff560482951d24

Hello,

I have seen the name "Pine Squirrel" given in some works as an alternate
English common name to designate not only the Red Squirrel, but also
Douglas' Squirrel (Tamiasciurus douglasii) found in Canada only in BC.

The Groundhog (Marmota monax) is in the same family (Scuiridae) as the other
four and thus could be considered Nova Scotia's fifth "squirrel".

Ron

Ronald G. Arsenault
Memramcook, N.B.

--

--00c09f8de75d10ff560482951d24

ven in some works as an alternate English common name to designate not only=
 the Red Squirrel, but also Douglas&#39; Squirrel (Tamiasciurus douglasii) =
found in Canada only in BC.</div>
uiridae) as the other four and thus could be considered Nova Scotia&#39;s=
te">2010/3/24 Terry Boswell <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:ta_boz@=
l_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left=
:1ex;">

Chris,<br>
=A0<br>
You made me do a little digging. You were right!=A0Being European, I was=A0=
assuming the North American Red Squirrel (<em>Tamiasciurus hudsonicus) </em=
>was the<em> &quot;</em>Pine Squirrel&quot; as I=A0had heard the term=A0bei=
ng used locally. I am more familiar with=A0the European Red Squirrel (<em>s=
ciurus vulgaris</em>) and jumped to a conclusion that the one in the photo =
could not be the same. Thanks for setting me straight.=A0<br>

=A0<br>
Terry<br>=A0<br>
<hr>
From: <a href=3D"mailto:c.majka@ns.sympatico.ca" target=3D"_blank">c.majka@=
bucto.ns.ca" target=3D"_blank">naturens@chebucto.ns.ca</a><br>Subject: Re: =
[NatureNS] Melanistic Red Squirrel<br>
"><br><br>Hi Terry,
/div>
 Canada, however only one of these,=A0<i>Tamiasciurus hudsonicus gymnicus</=
i>, is found in the Maritime Provinces. There are also occasional albino, p=
artial albino, and melani