[NatureNS] Cooper's Hawk, Onslow, Col. Co.

From: "Eric L. Mills" <e.mills@dal.ca>
To: ns-rba@yahoogroups.com
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2010 16:51:59 -0300
Cc: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

This morning a large adult accipiter (blue-grey back and reddish-brown underparts; close to
crow-sized: long rounded tail; broad straight wings; shallow, stiff wing-beat) flew across
McWilliam Road South in Onslow, Colchester Co., scattering pigeons and crows as it went -
about as good a Cooper's Hawk as I have seen for some time (and maybe my first in spring
in NS).

There were few geese in the area - all Canadas and only about 300 in a few scattered
groups,  mainly in the Lower Onslow-Masstown area, all south of Hwy 2 in mowed fields.

A male Gadwall was with other ducks in the pond across Hwy 2 from the S end of Crowe's
Mill Road.

Robins were abundant: hundreds in flocks of 50+ along roads between Onslow and
Masstown. They seem to have arrived en masse.