[NatureNS] A Terrible Screaming From Under the Dock

From: Hans Toom <Htoom@hfx.eastlink.ca>
To: "Naturens@Chebucto.Ns.Ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2010 06:27:22 -0400

--Boundary_(ID_oijNh68h2QLAD2Knsnjd1Q)

I was skulking around the fishing boats at Sambro Harbour yesterday morning, looking for a Black Guillemot that was popping its head above water in various places when I heard this terrible screaming coming from under the dock.  It sounded to me as I imagine a Terradacdyl would scream.  I waited for a time when out came a Mink. I suspect it was talking, in its manner, to a family nesting under the dock.

This morning I left my home in Portuguese  Cove in bright sunshine heading for a hike on the Wetland's Trail, Mount Uniacke Museum Park.  There is no snow in this area at all.  By the time I arrived at my destination it was completely overcast and snowing and with a fair bit of snow still in the woods.  I donned my ice cleats and ventured forth for a very enjoyable stroll.  Lots of birds were singing.  White-winged Crossbill, Red-breasted Nuthatch, Golden-crowned Kinglet and Brown Creeper were the highlights.  Thompson Lake is still frozen tight but Black Creek is open all the way from the lake to Highway #1.  No woodpeckers were seen or heard.

Hans

http://www.hanstoom.com/Highlights/March2010/0100.html
_________________________________
Hans Toom
Portuguese Cove, Nova Scotia, Canada
Website: http://hanstoom.com
_________________________________

--Boundary_(ID_oijNh68h2QLAD2Knsnjd1Q)

<HTML><HEAD>
<META name=GENERATOR content="MSHTML 8.00.6001.18876">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>I was skulking around the fishing boats at Sambro
Harbour&nbsp;yesterday morning, looking for a <STRONG>Black Guillemot</STRONG>
that was popping its head above water in various places when I heard this
terrible screaming coming from under the dock.&nbsp; It sounded to me as I
imagine a Terradacdyl would scream.&nbsp; I waited for a time when out came a
<STRONG>Mink</STRONG>. I suspect it was talking, in its manner, to a family
nesting under the dock.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>This morning I left my home in Portuguese&nbsp;
Cove in bright sunshine heading for a hike on the Wetland's Trail, Mount Uniacke
Museum Park.&nbsp; There is no snow in this area at all.&nbsp; By the time I
arrived at my destination it was completely overcast and snowing and with a fair
bit of snow still in the woods.&nbsp; I donned&nbsp;my ice cleats and ventured
forth for a very enjoyable stroll.&nbsp; Lots of birds were singing.
&nbsp;<STRONG>White-winged Crossbill, Red-breasted Nuthatch, Golden-crowned
Kinglet and Brown Creeper</STRONG> were the highlights.&nbsp; Thompson Lake is
still frozen tight but Black Creek is open all the way from the lake to Highway
#1.&nbsp; No woodpeckers were seen or heard.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Hans</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial><A
href="http://www.hanstoom.com/Highlights/March2010/0100.html">http://www.hanstoom.com/Highlights/March2010/0100.html</A></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>_________________________________<BR>Hans
Toom<BR>Portuguese Cove, Nova Scotia, Canada<BR>Website: <A
href="http://hanstoom.com">http://hanstoom.com</A>

--Boundary_(ID_oijNh68h2QLAD2Knsnjd1Q)--