[NatureNS] Which owl?

From: Richard Stern <sternrichard@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2010 15:04:05 -0400
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--001636ed6f599dd7480480ea266e

Hi,

With regard to field guides, they all admit that that's what they are -
guide books to take into the field, to identify birds. If they were to
include info. about nest construction and egg types, they would likely
become large back-pack guides, or coffee table books. There are actually
field guides to nests and eggs, and guides (not exactly field) to many
families of birds, including owls. You only need to spend some time on a
pelagic trip, or on, e.g. Seal Island, to see that some people like to take
whole libraries of books into the field with them. I have all kinds of books
(at home) full of that kind of info., and I love to read them, but not as
field guides.

Actually, I too grew up and started birding in the UK, and I find that
people there are far more worried about nest disturbance, activism, etc.,
than they are in N.America, and although I have no proof, I suspect that has
nothing to do with the lack of that info. in field guides.

The upcoming way of doing all this, though, is what I'm currently starting
to embrace - in the field, anywhere there is cell phone or wi-fi coverage,
use a smart phone  to get the data from the internet, or use an app. such as
Ibird, which has calls and songs, as well as printed ID info. and pictures,
of all N.American birds at the touch of a finger.

It should be pretty easy for you to google N American bird calls, or owl
sounds, and within a few minutes, identify the owl you have been hearing.

And BTW, Grt. Horned Owls nest in old crow's nests, flat clumps of branches
etc., whereas Barred nest in cavities in big trees (or in Kings Co., nest
boxes). But just because an owl is calling, it doesn't mean there's a nest
nearby - it could just be lonely, or trying to establish a territory, so the
habitat of a single calling owl doesn't mean much in terms of ID.

Best wishes,

Richard