[NatureNS] Which owl?

From: Randy Lauff <randy.lauff@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2010 14:46:25 -0400
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--0016e6d99efa7e16120480e9e745

Steve and others,

No owl invariably gives "its" call every time. For example, the
terminal tremolo on a Barred Owl's call can sometimes be given in isolation
- once scaring the guano out of a volunteer of mine when it happened from
only 10-20 m away.

The owl pages (http://www.owlpages.com/index.php)  is a great source of
owlish info. Here are links to two typical calls, Great Horned (
http://www.owlpages.com/sounds/Bubo-virginianus-6.mp3) and Barred (
http://www.owlpages.com/sounds/Strix-varia-1.mp3). I suspect these are
distinct enough for you to id your bird...if not, maybe we have something
more interesting.

As for the books not giving enough information, I think you nailed it on the
head when you wrote:

On 3 March 2010 14:09, Stephen Shaw <srshaw@dal.ca> wrote:

> ...snip...This lack of info [in North American guides] is in
> marked contrast to some UK books that I grew up with which had all this
> stuff in spades, although I don't think they were called field guides.

If all the information was to be in one book, it would not be called a field
guide, since it would be too big to bring into the field.

Good luck,
Randy

_________________________________
RF Lauff
Way in the boonies of
Antigonish County, NS.

--0016e6d99efa7e16120480e9e745

; call every time. For example, the terminal=A0tremolo=A0on a Barred Owl&#3=
9;s call can sometimes be given in isolation - once scaring the guano out o=
f a volunteer of mine when it happened from only 10-20 m away.</div>

.php">http://www.owlpages.com/index.php</a>) =A0is a great source of owlish=
 info. Here are links to two typical calls, Great Horned (<a href=3D"http:/=
/www.owlpages.com/sounds/Bubo-virginianus-6.mp3">http://www.owlpages.com/so=
unds/Bubo-virginianus-6.mp3</a>) and Barred (<a href=3D"http://www.owlpages=
.com/sounds/Strix-varia-1.mp3">http://www.owlpages.com/sounds/Strix-varia-1=
.mp3</a>). I suspect these are distinct enough for you to id your bird...if=
 not, maybe we have something more interesting.</div>

 you nailed it on the head when you wrote:<br><br><div class=3D"gmail_quote=
">On 3 March 2010 14:09, Stephen Shaw <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mail=

x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex;">...snip...This lack of info [in North Ameri=
can guides] is in marked=A0contrast to some UK books that I grew up with wh=
ich had all this stuff in=A0spades, although I don&#39;t think they were ca=
lled field guides. =A0<br>

one book, it would not be called a field guide, since it would be too big t=
Randy</div>
boonies of<br>Antigonish County, NS.<br>

--0016e6d99efa7e16120480e9e745--