[NatureNS] RE: "female" purple finch?

Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2010 11:36:26 -0800 (PST)
From: Suzanne Borkowski <suzanneborkowski@yahoo.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Hi;

If I can jump in here...

I took an Ornithology course at Dalhousie in 2005 from Cindy Staicer, who told us that male Purple Finches don't gain their raspberry colouration until their 2nd spring; i.e. until they are two years old.  However, they are capable of breeding when they reach their first spring - one year of age.  They sing to attract a mate, even though they don't have much chance against their colourful elders!

Cheers;
Suzanne