[NatureNS] Birding Trip report Sober I. Feb. 20, 2010

From: Ken McKenna <kenmcken@eastlink.ca>
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2010 09:11:35 -0400

--Boundary_(ID_/viYiG/uzqMSk5S3WcmEuA)

Ken McKenna
Box 218 Stellarton NS
B0K 1S0
902 752-7644
Hi all
Charlie Kendell and I made another trip to Sober I. Sat.  Feb. 20 in hopes of getting better photos of Purple Sandpipers, but alas, the tide was a bit high while we were there and was did not see any PUSA at all. We did however see 15 HARLEQUIN in 3 small groups. Unlike last weekend, there were a number of Robins on the island many feeding in areas of kelp. We probably laid eyes on 15 or so,but I suspect there were more we were not seeing. I has 2 brief glimpses at a DOVEKIE in one of the coves on the island. We saw single RED-NECKED and HORNED GREBES. There were more scoters present and we tallied 5 Black, 4 Surf, 2 White-winged and 38 unid'd non-white-winged. We found more individual birds of most species than last weekend and 4-5 more species in total with 28 this weeknd.
En route in the Trafalgar area north end of the Liscomb Sanctuary, we noted a number of finches and were delighted to see 5 RED CROSSBILLS as well as quite a number of White-winged Crossbills. The feeder at Lorne had even more Eveving Grosbeaks and Goldfinches than last weekend. Nearby that yard on the way home we saw a road-side White-throated Sparrow with Juncos. I heard a couple of Pine Grosbeals near where we had the Red Crossbills.
We had a short stop in Sheet Harbour and noted 2 White-throated Sparrow, 6 Tree Sparrows and a couple of Song Sparrows, one in song in the mid-afternoon and flurries. There were 40+ Robins and a small flock of 5 Cedar Waxwings there as well.
We went back to Stellarton via Marinette, Upper Musquodoboit, Chaplin- Dean- Trafalgar hoping to see crossbills, but the high wind made observations difficult but we did have road-side WW Crossbills in 4 locations almost driving over some before we saw them.   Trip total -40 species

--Boundary_(ID_/viYiG/uzqMSk5S3WcmEuA)

<HTML><HEAD>
<META name=GENERATOR content="MSHTML 8.00.6001.18876">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Ken McKenna<BR>Box 218 Stellarton NS<BR>B0K
1S0<BR>902 752-7644<BR>Hi all</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Charlie Kendell and I made another trip to Sober I.
Sat. &nbsp;Feb. 20 in hopes of getting better photos of Purple Sandpipers, but
alas, the tide was a bit high while we were there and was did not see any PUSA
at all. We did however see 15 HARLEQUIN in 3 small groups. Unlike last weekend,
there were a number of Robins on the island many feeding in areas of kelp. We
probably laid eyes on 15 or so,but I suspect there were more we were not seeing.
I has 2 brief glimpses at a DOVEKIE in one of the coves on the island.&nbsp;We
saw&nbsp;single&nbsp;RED-NECKED and HORNED GREBES. There were more scoters
present and we tallied 5 Black, 4 Surf, 2 White-winged and 38 unid'd
non-white-winged. We found more individual birds of most species than last
weekend and 4-5 more species in total with 28 this weeknd. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>En route in the Trafalgar area north end of the
Liscomb Sanctuary,&nbsp;we noted a number of finches and were delighted to see 5
RED CROSSBILLS as well as quite a number of White-winged Crossbills. The feeder
at Lorne had even more Eveving Grosbeaks and Goldfinches than last weekend.
Nearby that yard on the way home we saw a road-side White-throated Sparrow with
Juncos. I heard a couple of Pine Grosbeals near where we had the Red Crossbills.
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>We&nbsp;had a short stop in Sheet Harbour and noted
2 White-throated Sparrow, 6 Tree Sparrows and a couple of Song Sparrows, one in
song in the mid-afternoon and flurries. There were 40+ Robins and a small flock
of 5 Cedar Waxwings there as well. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>We went back to Stellarton via Marinette, Upper
Musquodoboit, Chaplin- Dean- Trafalgar hoping to see crossbills, but the high
wind made observations difficult but we did have road-side WW Crossbills in 4
locations almost driving over some before we&nbsp;saw
them.&nbsp;&nbsp;</FONT>&nbsp;<FONT size=2 face=Arial>Trip total -40
species</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

--Boundary_(ID_/viYiG/uzqMSk5S3WcmEuA)--