[NatureNS] cyanide laced plover eggs

From: aljoudrey@eastlink.ca
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2010 19:15:23 -0400

style=3D"MARGIN: 0px"&gt;&lt;font style=3D"F
Yeah. Really.

I just watched a news report, news out of Boston WBZ. They had footage of of a plover on the beach, on the nest, running around, eggs etc. They showed a wire cage / fence set up around a nesting area. They estimated there are no more than 600 nesting pairs in this area. It was Mass. somewhere, I missed the geographic name.

They claim that crows are a natural predator of the plover, eating the eggs. So various eggs will be laced with cyanide, "sacrificing one to save many| as the news reporter said.

So my question is ( knowing the answer I'm pretty sure ) how asinine is this little endeavor? I'm more than a little appalled.

Angela in Windsor

When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.
John Muir