[NatureNS] Wetland's Trail, Mount Uniacke Museum Park

From: Hans Toom <Htoom@hfx.eastlink.ca>
To: "Naturens@Chebucto.Ns.Ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2010 14:37:18 -0400

--Boundary_(ID_Eg4Q9geMo5uREavcSiIQWg)

I took a morning walk along the Wetland's Trail, Mount Uniacke Museum Park today.  This is one of my favourite summer time walks but this is the first time I've done it in the winter, and what a delight!  There was no wind, a nice covering of snow over everything and silence, except for the singing birds.  I walked the loop from the trailhead near the junction of Highway #1 and the Old Post Road in a clockwise loop.  There was some open water but mostly the creeks were running underneath the ice.

The highlight was singing White-winged Crossbills(20++) along most of the circuit.  And can these birds sing!  They sing almost like the big brother(sister) to the Winter Wren, with long and varied trills one after another.  The usual suspects were also present, a few Red-breasted Nuthatches(3), a species scarce again this winter in my area, and flocks of foraging Chickadees(20++) with Blue Jays(10+) singing from the deep forest. I was hoping for owls and woodpeckers but save for a single Hairy Woodpecker drumming in the distance I had no luck.

The good news is that the trail has been cleared of windfalls, finally.

Hans

________________________________
Hans Toom
Portuguese Cove, Nova Scotia, Canada
Website: http://hanstoom.com
_________________________________

--Boundary_(ID_Eg4Q9geMo5uREavcSiIQWg)

<HTML><HEAD>
<META name=GENERATOR content="MSHTML 8.00.6001.18876">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial><FONT size=1>
<P><FONT size=2>I took a morning walk along the Wetland's Trail, Mount Uniacke
Museum</FONT> <FONT size=2>Park today.&nbsp; This is one of my favourite summer
time walks but this is the first time I've done it in the winter, and what a
delight!&nbsp; There was no wind, a nice covering of snow over everything and
silence, except for the singing birds.&nbsp; I&nbsp;walked the loop from the
trailhead near the junction of Highway #1 and the Old Post Road in a clockwise
loop.&nbsp; There was some open water but mostly the creeks were running
underneath the ice.</FONT></P>
<P><FONT size=2>The highlight was singing <STRONG>White-winged
Crossbills(20++)</STRONG> along most of the&nbsp;circuit.&nbsp; And can these
birds sing!&nbsp; They sing almost like the big brother(sister) to the
<STRONG>Winter Wren</STRONG>, with long and varied trills one after
another.&nbsp; The usual suspects were also present, a few <STRONG>Red-breasted
Nuthatches(3)</STRONG>, a species scarce again this winter in my area, and
flocks of foraging<STRONG> Chickadees(20++)</STRONG> with<STRONG> Blue
Jays(10+)</STRONG> singing from the deep forest. I&nbsp;was hoping for owls and
woodpeckers but save for a single <STRONG>Hairy
Woodpecker</STRONG>&nbsp;drumming in the distance&nbsp;I had no luck.</FONT></P>
<P><FONT size=2>The good news is that the trail has been cleared of windfalls,
finally.</FONT></P>
<P><FONT size=2>Hans</FONT></P>
<P></FONT></FONT><FONT size=2
face=Arial>________________________________<BR>Hans Toom<BR>Portuguese Cove,
Nova Scotia, Canada<BR>Website: <A
href="http://hanstoom.com">http://hanstoom.com</A>

--Boundary_(ID_Eg4Q9geMo5uREavcSiIQWg)--