[NatureNS] Varied Thrush - another thrush sp.

Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2010 02:41:16 -0400
From: Stephen Shaw <srshaw@dal.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

This posting reminded me of a recent unusual (for us) visitor here.  We don't
ever seem to see thrushes apart from Robins here in our garden in Halifax so
I've no ID expertise, but was surprised to see what was clearly a thrush two
mornings ago hopping out on to the blacktop from under our car.  This is where
our solitary Song Sparrow normally parades looking for fallen seeds.  I
watched
this thrush for only ~2 minutes, got a good look, but have not seen it since.
By the time I'd retrieved a camera and Sibley to check the patterning
in detail
it had disappeared, so there's no hope of positively IDing it now.  It looked
closest to a Hermit Thrush in Sibley, definitely not a Wood Thrush, while the
spots on the upper breast were dark and prominent so not a Veery, but that
still leaves several other possible contenders in play.

Question for birders: all of the Sibley distribution maps suggest that none of
the NS thrushes overwinter here, but this must be an over-generalization.
Based on known overwintering records, can anyone suggest which species
this was
likely to have been -- would a Hermit Thrush actually fit the bill?
Steve
Chocolate Lake, Hfx