[NatureNS] Update on Halifax Orioles & Chat

From: Susann Myers <myerss@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca,
Cc: Lynne Perry <perry.lynne@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Feb 2010 20:24:39 -0400

--Boundary_(ID_yVFJsfxcs1R/huFgTXselQ)

Greetings, all.

The orioles wintering in my back yard have been faring reasonably well.  Of the 10 that were present in the first half of January, one (the brightest male) was last seen January 17.  He may have been the victim of a cat, or of the Merlin that has been patrolling the neighbourhood.  Another of the male orioles appeared with an injured wing about January 23.  Although he seemed to be improving, I was able to catch him on the morning of February 2 by just reaching into the feeding cage.  He is now recovering at Helene Van Doninck's rehabilitation centre in Brookfield, near Truro.  Helene reports that he is doing well, and I imagine he will do much better being warm and well fed.  The remaining 8 orioles are doing well, eating their way through a great many mealworms, along with fruit, grape jelly my homemade soft suet and a jelly/suet mixture that they particularly enjoy.

The Yellow-breasted Chat that I first saw on January 16 does not seem to have survived.  I last saw it on the morning of February 1.  Up to the evening before, it was eating well and getting a share of the mealworms.

There is also an almost all-white ("pigmentally challenged") House Sparrow tending my feeders with the flock of 40 others.  It has a few areas of pale grey plumage, a light yellow-pink bill, pale legs and dark irises        .

Cheers,
Susann

--Boundary_(ID_yVFJsfxcs1R/huFgTXselQ)

<HTML><HEAD>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Greetings, all.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>The orioles wintering in my back yard have been
faring reasonably well.&nbsp; Of the 10 that were present in the first half of
January, one (the brightest male) was last seen January 17.&nbsp; He may have
been the victim of a cat, or of the Merlin that has been patrolling the
neighbourhood.&nbsp; Another of the male orioles appeared with an injured wing
about January 23.&nbsp; Although he seemed to be improving, I was able to catch
him on the morning of February 2 by just reaching into the feeding cage.&nbsp;
He is now recovering at Helene Van Doninck's rehabilitation centre in
Brookfield, near Truro.&nbsp; Helene reports that he is doing well, and
I&nbsp;imagine he&nbsp;will do much better&nbsp;being warm and well fed.&nbsp;
The remaining 8 orioles are doing well, eating their way through a great many
mealworms, along with fruit, grape jelly my homemade soft suet and a jelly/suet
mixture that they particularly enjoy.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>The Yellow-breasted Chat that I first saw on
January 16 does not seem to have survived.&nbsp; I last saw it on the morning of
February 1.&nbsp; Up to the evening before, it was eating well and getting a
share of the mealworms.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>There is also an almost all-white ("pigmentally
challenged") House Sparrow tending my feeders with the flock of 40 others.&nbsp;
It has&nbsp;a few&nbsp;areas of pale grey plumage, a light yellow-pink bill,
pale legs and dark irises&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; .</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Cheers,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Susann</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

--Boundary_(ID_yVFJsfxcs1R/huFgTXselQ)--