[NatureNS] RE: re seal issues in N.S. & Can. & world

From: jen cooper <iffercooper@hotmail.com>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 2010 14:53:28 +0000

--_ca864976-60e0-4500-be11-ca67130ef069_

Hi All=2C=20
Every year the seal hunt issue gets brought up by someone finding some grue=
some evidence of it. Some of us make a few comments=2C others wont touch it=
 with a ten foot pole=2C and then the hunt is over and our thoughts are hus=
hed until next year. Its rather an annual event now=2C isn't it?=20
Its not in my nature to be a fan of hunting in any flavour. I do realize th=
at in many places in Canada the seal hunt is a cultural event and that the =
seals are harvested for pelts and oil=2C ect. I have never come across Nova=
 Scotian seal products=2C although I'm sure there isn't much of a market fo=
r such wares here. Through my=2C admittedly not all knowing=2C eyes the Nov=
a Scotian seal hunt is neither for product=2C nor culture. It seems to me t=
hat its fisher people=2C the most threatening of fish predators=2C blaming =
the seals for low numbers.=20
This link=2C to this really quite beautiful site=2C was brought to my atten=
tion:http://www.sealsonline.org/seal-universal-declaration.php
Very nice=2C non? So the illegal seal hunters must be an even larger pain i=
n the frozen toes to these people than to regular humans=2C like myself=2C =
who are hurt and disgusted by the massacre. We touched last year on the cor=
pses that wash up decapitated=2C all around Nova Scotian shores. Some said =
that it was ice berg decapitation. My reply is that thousands of ice berg d=
ecapitations a year would eventually result in some sort of evolutionary re=
sponse. By now seals smart enough to see it coming would have been selected=
 for=2C bringing the headless corpse numbers down to single digits a year=
=2C if any.=20
Last year the Bras D'or Institute held a conference on the seal hunt. I ask=
ed a friend who was part of it if the illegal hunt was addressed: we hosted=
 a workshop last November on the future of the grey seal hunt in eastern No=
va Scotia. one of the most interesting workshops i've ever attended. the il=
legal hunt was addressed=2C but the whole situation is a mess (industry=2C =
research and government). the power of PETA is outstanding and unfortunate.=
 because of government bowing down to their propaganda=2C the evolution of =
a sustainable and ethical industry is hindered.
I'll see if i can find some more information...
Jen