[NatureNS] Eagles - Middle Dyke Rd Sunday noon

From: "Judy Tufts" <tandove@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: "NatureNS" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 2010 18:48:36 -0400

Sun Jan 31/10

When I left the Community Centre around NOON after participating in the
annual Eagles and Raptors Count I headed to the chief Bald Eagle
observation/feeding area at n. end of Middle Dyke Rd.- "Swetnam's Field" as
Jim Wolford calls it- with much care through all the cars parked on either
side of the road, doing a little dipsy-doodling to avoid cars heading
straight for me! There was no visible food out but there were many eagles.
On the tree line to the right on that field (as one faces the field) there
were at least 34 Bald Eagles (20 ads and at least 9 imms that I could
identify). Another 20+ were perched in the left-hand tree line and another
five or so were restlessly wandering back and forth among the trees at the
back of the field. I did not break down this grouping into ads vs imms. as I
had to leave, but there were definitely MORE adults than imms.

Cheers,
Judy

   Judy  Tufts
    Wolfville