[NatureNS] White Point birds

From: Marg Millard <mmillard@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2010 15:30:36 -0400

A gorgeous day in White Point!
We are still feeding the birds regularly, but we wonder if we should be
cutting back some on the rations as we have posted the property for sale,
officially, today. I know some come looking for specific food as they go in
certain areas and look under, over and around if something is missing.
(Anyone interested in a great birding spot check out Exit listings)  I want
a birder to buy the place.

Today, being colder, has many smaller birds flying in and out. There
White-breasted Nuthatch has been here and two American tree Sparrows today.
I think there are more White throat sparrows coming especially after 4 pm.
They are usually here until just after sunset.
A Northern Flicker has been in and out and is quite skittish so I think
probably it isn't the usual one as we could move behind glass without it
leaving. This one spooks as soon as someone nears the window.
Lots of Mourning doves this morning and we are expecting even more as the
afternoon wanes. There are many Blue Jays but I think the numbers are down
somewhat. The big crows were around earlier, 7 of them now, but there is a
bigger bird hunting. Way larger than a Sharpshinned. Not an owl, not an
eagle.......I only glimpsed it as it roared in over the barn roof and made a
play at something beside the far side of the barn.

Marg Millard,White Point, Queens

http://MargMillard.ca