[NatureNS] crow roost

From: Bob McDonald <bobathome@hfx.eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2010 13:02:18 -0400

--Boundary_(ID_cML9mlVs+gjdkgSZAL1IGw)

Hi Joan and others,

A couple of years ago, I first noticed this "pre-roost" while driving home along the 102 just before dusk.  I've had the feeling for a number of years that the roost at the Mount may be "full to capacity", so when I saw the roost near the 102, I wondered if it was a new secondary roosting spot just developing.
One question - do these birds fly towards the Mount eventually at dusk?

As part of the Bedford-Sackville Christmas Bird Count, we try to estimate the number of crows roosting at MSVU.  It's an interesting challenge and I'm still not convinced that we're using the best approach, but there are only 2 of us.  Kathleen has correctly described how and when the crows arrive on campus, although a few early birds do seem to begin to arrive in mid-afternoon.  They congregate first at the top of the hill and then eventually roost, filling the trees, within about 100-300 m from the Bedford Highway.  Although they are very vocal as they fly down the hill, once all are pretty well settled in for the night (an hour after sunset), you wouldn't know that there are in excess of 6000 crows there!!

My first estimate of the number of roosting crows was about 600-800 in the late '80's.  Since then the numbers have gradually increased, although over the past 5-6 years, the numbers have bounced around in the range 6000-8000 birds.

We have tried to estimate the number as the birds fly down the hill but before they are hidden in the many conifers at the bottom of the hill where they cannot be seen.  Another approach might be to recruit some volunteers willing to stand at the 4 corners of the roosting area counting birds as they fly in for the night.  This would require a 2-hour commitment (from ~3:30 to 5:30 PM one afternoon/evening between Christmas and New Year's).  Anyone interested....?

Like Kathleen, I don't know how early in the morning you have to arrive to see the departure flight but I assume that it happens around sunrise.  Not being a morning person, I am not interested in engaging in this exercise.

Cheers,
Bob