[NatureNS] Bald Eagle and Peregrine tangle at Sullivans Pond

Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2010 19:41:32 -0400
From: Douglas Guptill <dguptill@accesswave.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--FL5UXtIhxfXey3p5

I passed by Sullivan's Pond about 3:30 pm, and saw the gull carcass
lying on the ice, apparently of interest to no one and no bird.

Douglas.

On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 05:46:04PM -0400, bernard burke wrote:
> I tend to avoid Sullivans without a camera for fear of seeing something p=
hotogenic, but after work today being rather dreary out, light-wise anyway,=
 I decided to chance it and swing by after work figuring there would probab=
ly be a large number of gulls to scrutinize. Sure enough there had to be th=
e biggest number of gulls that I've seen there so far this winter on the ic=
e and near the fountain. I wasn't there two minutes while checking them ove=
r  with some small binoculars from my car when all the gulls took flight. I=
 looked to my right to see an adult Bald Eagle flying lower than usual, and=
 I figured that it was going to try for a gull. Instead it ended up being d=
istracted by the local Peregrine Falcon as it proceeded to dive at the Eagl=
e, while the Eagle vocalized back at it as it ventured down towards the Pon=
d ice. The Peregrine eventually veered off towards the tall buildings nearb=
y. Turns out there was a gull casualty on the ice already that I did not no=
tice previous and the Eagle proceeded to work on it...( perhaps the Peregri=
nes previous kill ?).  I worked my way over to the other side of the Pond a=
nd the Eagle was allowing a fairly close approach for this area as it ate, =
but as expected, being it was rush hour, a couple of people in the immediat=
e area when they noticed it ran from the street nearby, cameras or camera p=
hones in hand and eventually it was just too much for the Eagle, who parted=
 with its meal in the direction of the Harbor.
>=20
> Bernard Burke
> Dartmouth

--FL5UXtIhxfXey3p5