[NatureNS] nature notes: gray squirrels, coyotes, bobcat, eagle watch,

To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Cc: Howie Huynh <huynh.hm@rogers.com>,
From: "James W. Wolford" <jimwolford@eastlink.ca>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 17:41:51 -0400

--Boundary_(ID_xuSLrM6jVsSzBK67oUeS7Q)

JAN. 19, 2010 - Continuing wintry weather, which is a good thing for
the imminent EAGLE WATCH WEEKENDS coming up at Sheffield Mills and
elsewhere in eastern King's County where poultry producers put out
their daily chicken mortalities for the eagles, hawks, gulls, etc. to
utilize and act as dispose-alls.

Anyone interested should go on-line to www.eaglens.ca for details
about dates and what is offered where during the last two weekends in
January, beginning this coming Saturday, and the first weekend of
February.

BAD NEWS RE MONARCH BUTTERFLIES -- go to www.globeandmail.com for
today's article on p. A2 titled "Monarch butterfly count at a record
low -- North American weather extremes take toll on migratory insects
whose colonies in Mexico were already in decline", by Martin
Mittelstaedt -- the first paragraph reads: "The number of monarch
butterflies in the Mexican colonies where the colourful orange and
black migratory insects spend their winters has declined to the
lowest on record.

Today in downtown Wolfville at 1:50 p.m., I was in my car at the 4-
way-stop intersection by the Tim Horton's when a red-tailed hawk
glided through the intersection going north to south at a very low
altitude, no doubt on a hunting foray and hoping to startle an
unalert pigeon or other possible prey.  Five minutes later I was on
foot at the same place and noticed a red-tailed hawk perched
prominently atop the tower on the Railtown development along the RR
tracks, very probably the same hawk seen earlier.  I wonder if this
is the same town hawk I saw several days ago perched in a small tree
at the Bank of Montreal intersection.  It was still perched on the
tower a half-hour later.

I dropped in at Peter Elderkin's house to inquire about the half-
grown or 2/3-grown cub bobcat (definitely a bobcat) that was at Paul
Elderkin's farm at the Wolfville-Greenwich boundary from last Tuesday
to Saturday, Jan. 12 to 16, 2010.  Peter said he was away on Sunday,
but the young bobcat has disappeared and not been seen since
Saturday.  It had been offered a bit of cat food, but Peter was
doubtful about whether or not it ate some of that.  Harold Forsyth
had seen the bobcat move a bit on Saturday and said it looked very
weak and shaky on its feet, whereas the other observers had mainly
seen it just lying in one spot just inside the entrance to Paul's
barn.  Several people including Mark Elderkin, Harold Forsyth, and
myself, took photos.  Peter told me he heard that a Dept. of Nat.
Resources man had checked the site on Sunday but didn't hear anything
else from DNR.

MORE LOCAL NEWS ON GRAY SQUIRRELS: Jacquie Roche, who lives along
Main St. between Sherwood and Maple Avenues in east Wolfville, and
who has a long history of sightings of up to 3 gray squirrels at once
(so I thought) has now been seeing up to 5 at once -- 4 are gray-
coloured and the 5th is black.  When I asked her about any size
differences between these individuals, nothing had been noticed.
Also there is a red squirrel there occasionally.

MORE ON GRAY SQUIRRELS: Last night at the Blomidon Naturalists
Society meeting, Ed Sulis who lives in Kentville on Canaan Avenue,
and has history of a couple of years of sightings of 1-2 gray
squirrels in his yard, said that as of a week ago he once again has 2
of them again (one of his earlier 2 was trapped and killed and added
to the Acadia Biology Museum collection).

One more fascinating note from Jacquie Roche: about two weeks ago,
she saw THREE COYOTES in her yard, and they crossed east Wolfville's
Main St. and went through another residential yard and apparently
headed southward?, which is all residential.

Cheers from Jim in Wolfville

--Boundary_(ID_xuSLrM6jVsSzBK67oUeS7Q)

-webkit-line-break: after-white-space; "><div style=3D"margin-top: 0px; =
margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; "><font =
face=3D"Helvetica" size=3D"3" style=3D"font: 12.0px Helvetica"><b>JAN. =
19, 2010</b> - Continuing wintry weather, which is a good thing for the =
imminent <b>EAGLE WATCH WEEKENDS</b> coming up at Sheffield Mills and =
elsewhere in eastern King's County where poultry producers put out their =
daily chicken mortalities for the eagles, hawks, gulls, etc. to utilize =
and act as dispose-alls.</font></div><div style=3D"margin-top: 0px; =
margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; font: normal =
normal normal 12px/normal Helvetica; min-height: 14px; "><br></div><div =
style=3D"margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; =
margin-left: 0px; "><font face=3D"Helvetica" size=3D"3" style=3D"font: =
12.0px Helvetica">Anyone interested should go on-line to =
<b>www.eaglens.ca</b> for details about dates and what is offered where =
during the last two weekends in January, beginning this coming Saturday, =
and the first weekend of February.</font></div><div style=3D"margin-top: =
0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; font: =
normal normal normal 12px/normal Helvetica; min-height: 14px; =
"><br></div><div style=3D"margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; =
margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; "><font face=3D"Helvetica" =
size=3D"3" style=3D"font: 12.0px Helvetica"><b>BAD NEWS RE MONARCH =
on p. A2 titled "Monarch butterfly count at a record low -- North =
American weather extremes take toll on migratory insects whose colonies =
in Mexico were already in decline", by Martin Mittelstaedt -- the first =
paragraph reads: "The number of monarch butterflies in the Mexican =
colonies where the colourful orange and black migratory insects spend =
their winters has declined to the lowest on record.</font></div><div =
style=3D"margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; =
margin-left: 0px; font: normal normal normal 12px/normal Helvetica; =
min-height: 14px; "><br></div><div style=3D"margin-top: 0px; =
margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; "><font =
face=3D"Helvetica" size=3D"3" style=3D"font: 12.0px Helvetica">Today in =
downtown Wolfville at 1:50 p.m., I was in my car at the 4-way-stop =
intersection by the Tim Horton's when a <b>red-tailed hawk</b> glided =
through the intersection going north to south at a very low altitude, no =
doubt on a hunting foray and hoping to startle an unalert pigeon or =
other possible prey.&nbsp; Five minutes later I was on foot at the same =
place and noticed a <b>red-tailed hawk</b> perched prominently atop the =
tower on the Railtown development along the RR tracks, very probably the =
same hawk seen earlier.&nbsp; I wonder if this is the same town hawk I =
saw several days ago perched in a small tree at the Bank of Montreal =
intersection.&nbsp; It was still perched on the tower a half-hour =
later.</font></div><div style=3D"margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; =
margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; font: normal normal normal =
12px/normal Helvetica; min-height: 14px; "><br></div><div =
style=3D"margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; =
margin-left: 0px; "><font face=3D"Helvetica" size=3D"3" style=3D"font: =
12.0px Helvetica">I dropped in at Peter Elderkin's house to inquire =
about the half-grown or 2/3-grown <b>cub bobcat</b> (definitely a =
bobcat) that was at Paul Elderkin's farm at the <b>Wolfville-Greenwich =
boundary</b> from last Tuesday to Saturday, Jan. 12 to 16, 2010.&nbsp; =
Peter said he was away on Sunday, but the young bobcat has disappeared =
and not been seen since Saturday.&nbsp; It had been offered a bit of cat =
food, but Peter was doubtful about whether or not it ate some of =
that.&nbsp; Harold Forsyth had seen the bobcat move a bit on Saturday =
and said it looked very weak and shaky on its feet, whereas the other =
observers had mainly seen it just lying in one spot just inside the =
entrance to Paul's barn.&nbsp; Several people including Mark Elderkin, =
Harold Forsyth, and myself, took <b>photos</b>.&nbsp; Peter told me he =
heard that a Dept. of Nat. Resources man had checked the site on Sunday =
but didn't hear anything else from DNR.</font></div><div =
style=3D"margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; =
margin-left: 0px; font: normal normal normal 12px/normal Helvetica; =
min-height: 14px; "><br></div><div style=3D"margin-top: 0px; =
margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; "><font =
face=3D"Helvetica" size=3D"3" style=3D"font: 12.0px Helvetica"><b>MORE =
LOCAL NEWS ON GRAY SQUIRRELS:</b> Jacquie Roche, who lives along Main =
St. between Sherwood and Maple Avenues in east Wolfville, and who has a =
long history of sightings of up to 3 gray squirrels at once (so I =
thought) has now been seeing up to 5 at once -- 4 are gray-coloured and =
the 5th is black.&nbsp; When I asked her about any size differences =
between these individuals, nothing had been noticed.&nbsp; Also there is =
a red squirrel there occasionally.</font></div><div style=3D"margin-top: =
0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; font: =
normal normal normal 12px/normal Helvetica; min-height: 14px; =
"><br></div><div style=3D"margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; =
margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; "><font face=3D"Helvetica" =
size=3D"3" style=3D"font: 12.0px Helvetica"><b>MORE ON GRAY =
SQUIRRELS</b>: Last night at the Blomidon Naturalists Society meeting, =
Ed Sulis who lives in Kentville on Canaan Avenue, and has history of a =
couple of years of sightings of 1-2 gray squirrels in his yard, said =
that as of a week ago he once again has 2 of them again (one of his =
earlier 2 was trapped and killed and added to the Acadia Biology Museum =
collection).</font></div><div style=3D"margin-top: 0px; margin-right: =
0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; font: normal normal normal =
12px/normal Helvetica; min-height: 14px; "><br></div><div =
style=3D"margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; =
margin-left: 0px; "><font face=3D"Helvetica" size=3D"3" style=3D"font: =
12.0px Helvetica">One more fascinating note from Jacquie Roche: about =
two weeks ago, she saw <b>THREE COYOTES</b> in her yard, and they =
crossed <b>east Wolfville</b>'s Main St. and went through another =
residential yard and apparently headed southward?, which is all =
residential.</font></div><div style=3D"margin-top: 0px; margin-right: =
0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; "><br></div><div =