[NatureNS] Horizontal Bore Holes in Dead Tree

From: "David & Alison Webster" <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 13:48:51 -0400

Hi Cindy & All,                Jan 18, 2010
    Those horizontal borings are 'exactly' the workings of some beetle;
larval or adult ? No doubt Chris or Dave M can narrow the field to species
level. Very curious and photogenic. I will go out on a twig and guess that
it might be a Bostrichidae.

    Those curious ridges are scars that arise when insect tunnels are
covered over by, I assume, cambial activity that is somehow stimulated by
the initial injury. I have never seen such elegant almost sine waves as
these but have seen less regular 'wooden eskers' in Poplar, Red Maple and
White Birch. Was this tree a Poplar ?

Yt, Dave Webster, Kentville