[NatureNS] Other sightings today.

From: James Hirtle <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: Naturens Naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 2010 04:23:51 +0000

--_a3a5c665-ec46-4611-b656-b521da87fc53_

Hi all once again:

=20

Of note today=2C 31 evening grosbeaks at the Lakeview Dairy Bar just beyond=
 Caledonia.  There is a side  road to the left just beyond there and 11 mor=
e evening grosbeaks were there  I had an email from a lady at Gold River wh=
o has 150 evening grosbeaks coming to her feeder.

=20

The other bird of note that was odd in my mind was a belted kingfisher by t=
he Mersey=2C by McGowan Lake=2C Queens County.  I've personally never seen =
a belted kingfisher inland in the dead of winter before. =20

=20

Now to poise a question given to me by Peter Tunnah.  Apparently=2C a horse=
 died not long after the arrival of the Carolina Wren on a nearby farm.  Th=
e cause of death was H1N1.  Peter asked me if I thought that fecal dropping=
s from the wren might have caused this.  I would expect that the host bird =
by this time after five months or so would not look healthy if it were a ca=
rrier of the virus.  Anyhow=2C for those that know more about the virus=2C =
what are your thoughts?  Peter said that he had collected samples of the wr=
en droppings from the insulation roost. I advised that if he was concerned =
to have these droppings tested through DNR by a pathologist.  Peter by the =
way is aware of the precautions that need to be taken in handling such item=
s.

=20

James R. Hirtle

Bayport

=20

James R. Hirtle

Bayport
 		 	   		 =20

--_a3a5c665-ec46-4611-b656-b521da87fc53_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px=3B
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
font-size: 10pt=3B
font-family:Verdana
}
--></style>
</head>
Hi all once again:<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
Of note today=2C 31 evening grosbeaks at the Lakeview Dairy Bar just beyond=
 Caledonia.&nbsp=3B There is a side&nbsp=3B road to the left just beyond th=
ere and 11 more evening grosbeaks were there&nbsp=3B I had an email from a =
lady at Gold River who has 150 evening grosbeaks coming to her feeder.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
The other bird of note that was odd in my mind was a belted kingfisher by t=
he Mersey=2C by McGowan Lake=2C Queens County.&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3BI've personal=
ly never seen a belted kingfisher inland in the dead of winter before.&nbsp=
=3B <BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
Now to poise a question given to me by Peter Tunnah.&nbsp=3B Apparently=2C =
a horse died not long after the arrival of the Carolina Wren on a nearby fa=
rm.&nbsp=3B The cause of death was H1N1.&nbsp=3B Peter asked me if I though=
t that fecal droppings from the wren might have caused this.&nbsp=3B I woul=
d expect that the host bird by this time after five months or so would not =
look healthy if it were a carrier of the virus.&nbsp=3B Anyhow=2C for those=
 that know more about the virus=2C what are your thoughts?&nbsp=3B Peter sa=
id that he had collected samples of the wren droppings from the insulation =
roost. I advised that if he was concerned to have these droppings tested th=
rough DNR by a pathologist.&nbsp=3B Peter by the way is aware of the precau=
tions that need to be taken in handling such items.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
James R. Hirtle<BR>
Bayport<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
James R. Hirtle<BR>
Bayport<BR> 		 	   		  <br /><hr /> </body=

--_a3a5c665-ec46-4611-b656-b521da87fc53_--